need help,noob diy lawnmower?

GoldenMotor.com

xarture0

Sep 30, 2010
florida
I have seen some motobikers around my area and wanted to look into it some more.
I was wondering if it would be possible to to sit a rid on lawnmower engine to the
rear of my bike. It is a regular mountain bike setup without full suspension so there
is some room for a motor but the ungin would not allow any space for the crank.
I have had this lawnmower just sitting in the yard collecting rust and I belive it is
a small block 12.5 hp industrial comercial engine! Any and all ideas would be greatly
apreciated.xct2

Last edited:

discontinuuity

May 24, 2010
Colorado, USA
I think the transmissions on those things are built into the rear axle. I suppose you could rig up some kind of belt or chain drive to the rear wheel, but that engine and transmission would be really heavy and bulky.

My suggestion is to get the lawnmower in running condition and either use it to cut grass or for racing. Check out United States Lawn Mower Racing Association to see if there are any lawnmower racing leagues in your area.

Felton

Dec 17, 2009
GA
I think I would 86 the idea too. Everything I have looked up it just seemed too much trouble to rig a bike with a lawn mower engine. Not to mention most bike don't have much more than a couple hp.

discontinuuity

May 24, 2010
Colorado, USA
You could make a pretty sweet mini bike if you could convert the engine from vertical to horizontal shaft. Not sure what kind of oiling system those engines have but you would need to modify it to work properly.

Or if it has a transmission you might not need to turn the engine, since most of those gearboxes have a 90 degree bevel drive in them.

adb140275

Aug 8, 2010
Harrison City, PA
to convert that to a horizontal engine, you need the correct horizontal crankcase, connecting rod, and (once its horizontal) sump cover (the oil pan when its vertical)