Harbor Freight 79cc, bike trailer suggestions

GoldenMotor.com

douglasseattle

Oct 5, 2010
United States
I have been going back and forth between making a powered bike trailer and just getting a normal kit to start, but right now I am leaning to a bike trailer with a harbor freight 79cc 4 stroke. It would allow me to use my racing bike and have load capacity.

I have a fork for a 27" wheel, and am thinking of mounting a freewheel on a jackshaft with a bike derailleur

I will make some drawings later. I am looking at making a trailer similar to the extra wheel picutured, but need to find out an easy way to make a hitch. The fork will like horizontally with a plywood platform serving as the motor and jackshaft mount.

I would like feedback
-does anyone have experience with trailers?
-I would like a max speed of 40, so what gear should I use? What rpm would be good for a cruise of 35?

Attachments

WayneC

Aug 2, 2009
Clearwater, FL
I haven't personally done a push trailer but have know some that have and with the HF engine.
They report the the torque of that motor in a trailer creates wheel hop and wears out tires on the
trailer like crazy. So just beware. Get lots of QUALIFIED suggestions and input. And good luck.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
I made a bike trailer from a electric scooter,i took off the handlebar pole,handlebars and front wheel. I added a axle and 2 extra wheels to make it more stable. The trailer hitch is a pole mounted on a extra rear rack that faces down and its mounted to the back of the rear rack, the trailer just slides onto the pole using the hole on the scooter where the handlebar pole use to go and i add a safty strap.

So get yourself a electric scooter(walmart) and replace the electric motor with a gas one and make a trailer out of that.