New Buisness with motorized bikes

GoldenMotor.com

cookie459

Jun 14, 2010
Carlsbad
hey i am thinking about getting bikes off craigslist or get some at walmart and putting the best 2-stroke or 4-stroke motor on it then resell it and make a profit

does anyone have experience with this?

is this a good idea?

thanks, cookie
dance1

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Everybody wants into the bike game! (& they always want to slap engines onto the cheapest bikes they can possibly find... ) :rolleyes:

Good luck, & don't get anybody hurt on your bikes! (Knock on wood) ;)

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
Everybody wants into the bike game! (& they always want to slap engines onto the cheapest bikes they can possibly find... ) :rolleyes:

Good luck, & don't get anybody hurt on your bikes! (Knock on wood) ;)
Problem is you almost have to in order to get any business, because most people will want a moped for anything over $300. Yea it's not the best idea, but think about what you would do with $500 and no mechanical aptitude or knowledge about these things.

Best thing to do is try to conceal the bikes in some sort of theme, so people will see something that resembles an antique conversation piece rather than a motor someone slapped on a bike. You'll end up with a better profit margin per bike to the point where you can replace the cheap-o mounting hardware, Walmart white-walls, and etc.

Of course, this only works when you've got a pretty decent metal shop at your disposal.

Check out the vendors that sell theme'd bikes & you'll get a better idea about what I'm talking about (start with venice's site).

I remember a few years back someone used to sell cheap-o bikes to kids for ~$300 at the skate park. I'm pretty sure he was getting rid of at least 2 or 3 a week, but these were broke 14-15 year old kids.

CoastalCruiser

Apr 28, 2010
Spaced Coast
From what I've seen on Craigslist, a $100 bike with a $200 motor sells for $300. Rolling Art will net you more profit but you gotta shell out more to get that profit. There are some sweet frames out there that you could assemble with Huffy parts to spice up your product or you could just start with a $500 bike.

Last edited: