Expansion chamber questions

GoldenMotor.com

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
So I know the basics as far as how expansion chamber work, but I have absolutely no experience with them. Therefore I have a few questions to ask before I decide to get one. I hope that the combined expertise of this forum can help me out a little.

First, does anyone have any experience with this expansion chamber? I know that the one from SBP is popular around here, but I don't like the way it looks.

Second question, should I expect more top speed or more low end power when using an expansion chamber? or both?

Third, will it change anything if, when using the chamber in my link, I weld on a long exhaust pipe and muffler so that the outlet of the muffler is way back by the rear axle?

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi

Attachments

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Tim B,
I don't have experience with THAT pipe, but I've piped everything from a Kawasaki 750 triple to a jet ski, all basically the same technique. The shorter the pipe, (I'm speaking from the engine to the END of the convergence zone), the higher the RPM the motor will come on the pipe, a longer pipe = lower RPM power. As far as dumping the exhaust out the back, that length, although not as critical, will effect power simply from restriction. You can compensate with forward pipe length a bit, catch 22 stuff, always a balancing act, Power??? or looks??? Don't forget to re-jet, motor should be runn'in good before you pipe it. Go at least 1 plug hotter too.

Mac

P.s. Kevlar, that's a nice looking bike, the first one I've seen where the header tape match's!!

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
That IS a nice looking bike, Kevlarr!

Below is a pic of mine, I built that exhaust. I was hoping to put this spooky tooth chamber right where the curved part of my pipe is and then weld the rest in so that the muffler is where it is as you see it in the pic. From what Mac is saying, I gather that the spooky chamber would give more high RPM performance in such a configuration, This would not bother me. My low end (hill climbing) performance is alright as it stands, could be better, but I would like to be able to go just a little faster on the flats without going wide open. A gain in any direction is all that I'm hoping for.

P.S. Venice, I only saw you're pic as I was writing this, that's a neat looking set-up too.

Attachments

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Tim,
Nice looking bike, I'd imagine you will pick up quite a bit with a pipe,(that exhaust looks restrictive) I'd post a pix of my MTN bike, but my 16 gig card is full on the camera and my program forces me to download all the pix before I select one(convienent) I run the SBP pipe in a over the top down the rear tube config. Good news is ya got the carb so adjustments won't be that painful.

Venice, The primary on that pipe is HUGE, bet it's a breather!

Mac

Extinction

May 20, 2010
Estonia
Tim_B_172, the pipe you linked to just wont work, its too short. it may make it sound louder and help a bit but you sure won't get the right expansion chamber effect.