Carb Issue

GoldenMotor.com

Brent436

Feb 14, 2010
Massachusetts
Ok, the problem is that my motor is backfiring a lot. i keep using silicone RTV between the carb and intake to seal up a leak thats there. But the motor will still backfire and blow out the RTV. im going to move the c-clip down one notch to try giving it some more fuel to try to see if this will fix it. my plug is a chocolate brown color though so the air/fuel ratio seems right. Lately the motor has been running rough. Its been having problems getting up to speed because its backfiring a lot. once its up to speed theres no problems. also if im just revving the motor it runs fine, no backfiring.

One thing i noticed too is that the carb slide moves up farther than the intake hole when i get to about 7/8-full throttle. this means that the motor is getting more fuel but no more gas right? is there a way to adjust it so that the slide stops before it goes too far? the cap that screws on to the top of the carb is all the way on. ive already checked that. i'm going to get a bunch of new stuff for the motor soon (shift kit, carb, intake, exhaust) so i just want to get this stock carb working right before i do these things. any input would be appreciated.

-Brent

Brent436

Feb 14, 2010
Massachusetts
I moved the c-clip down a notch and that fixed the problem. then i let the motor cool for a while and started it again but tons of power lost and 4 stroking like crazy. moved the c-clip back up to the second notch and it runs great. no backfiring, no 4 stroking, good power. i figure there must have been some dirt stuck somewhere on the carb needle that was screwing things up.

im running 32:1 oil mix with generic 2 stroke oil. its been working good for me. got about 600 miles on the motor now. i lost my license almost a year ago so i got the motor for my bike and its one of the best investments ive made. great for riding around town and small trips. i love this forum site everyone is helpful and friendly. well thanks for the help!

-Brent