Crashed bike is having all kinds of problems!

GoldenMotor.com

Hard Core Biker

Apr 22, 2010
Sulphur, Ok
I just got a motor for my bike and mounted it up last week. Well, if it can go wrong, it pretty much has. Someone wanted to ride it, so I let her. She gave it full throttle and smashed into a pole in the school parking lot. Ever since then, it has idled fast or not at all. Then someone stole it from me and rammed the muffler into the loading dock. Fortunately, the weld on the muffler- and not the head- broke. My friend welded that for me, but accidentally broke the gasket on it. It was still idling high then. So I put on my earplugs and went up to the auto parts store to get gasket material. Everyone was watching. When I got there, oil was all over the place. I've been running on 16:1, as the instructions say, but I've put a little straight gas into my tank to dilute the oil a bit, thinking that was the problem. So I replaced the muffler gasket and replaced the carb gasket to be sure that wasn't the cause of my air leak. It still idled high! So I decided to pull off the head. I did, and the cylinder was very clean. I put the gasket material on there. That fixed the idle speed (for a while) but it lost power, and I had to pedal it home. I pulled the head off again, and tried to take the gasket material off. Lo and behold, it is stuck. I don't know how to get it off. I scraped and scraped. So I just put it back on, hoping it would work. It now idles really fast, and I can put my hand down and feel the air leaking out of the head. Yes- out. I always thought it sucked extra air in. So, anyway, what do I do?:-||

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Wow, where to begin?
1. NEVER loan your bike out, especially to a girl!
2. You'll need a new head gasket, a copper one, not "gasket material".
3. Since the problem started when you loaned the bike out- see no. 1.

Check your throttle cable and slide for proper operation.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Use a 24:1 for break in and MEASURE IT. Guessing is the best way to ruin your engine, other than taking it apart and using improper materials and such.

Why do I have a bad feeling about this one? ;)

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
^^ Loaning your bike was not a good idea especially to a girl that sounds like she did not know how to operate your bike..Be careful out there man.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Seriously, take some care with your bike, and it could last you years. My money is on minutes if you keep doing what you are doing...

Always mix your gas and oil in a can, and measure it. Mix it a gallon at a time, and when you pour the last into your bike, get another gallon.

Don't ever loan your bike to anyone, unless you have seen them ride their own, and still, it's risky.

Use the correct parts when repairing or replacing. Such as the head gasket.

You said the engine ran high after the crash, did you check the throttle and everything else related to that? Never run a bike (especially after an 'event') until EVERYTHING is working properly.

Read this- http://motorbicycling.com/f30/guide-bicycle-motor-preparation-care-354.html

Hard Core Biker

Apr 22, 2010
Sulphur, Ok
You will also need to replace the exhaust gasket. Buy and use a u-lock to prevent people stealing it.
I already replaced the exhaust gasket, and I have a lock now. What really got me mad about him stealing it was the fact that he was right in front of me, and kept riding amidst my cries of "No! Get off!" He never managed to start it either...

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
The head should have the proper gasket ,NOT RUBBER,it will burn up,,,,for the fast idle check for air leaks at the carb and the intake manifold at the head ,a bent throttle cable ,bent parts

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I think all I have to do is scrape off that mess that I made when I put a rubber gasket on the head. How do I get it off?
Good luck. If you burned rubber onto your aluminum head, you may get most of it off with some kind of scraping tool like a 5 in 1 or a putty knife. You will likely damage the head doing it. You'll probably damage the cylinder trying to remove the mess from there too.

I would suggest removing it with a torch, but you are already in way over your head.

rm26x

Apr 23, 2010
Grand Blanc, MI
Sounds like you need to just spend the $100 for a replacement engine and chalk it up as a learning experience. Then you can start fresh and not have to worry about an unreliable engine.

Hard Core Biker

Apr 22, 2010
Sulphur, Ok
I already have most of it off, but it's just the little spots that are left that are causing trouble now. The torch won't damage anything, will it? What would make the head leak air in the first place? All the bolts were tight.

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
You know what's nice about this? Here's your worst case scenario if you do ruin it:

EDIT: make sure you get your matching parts, whether they be 48cc or 66cc.

Compare that to the top end kit I had to buy for my Tomos, which was +$100.

Oh, and if you used rubber gasket material, and it's kind of melted, use PB Blaster (let it soak), then use the green scrubber end of a sponge. I've worked cylinders with those before and they won't scratch it.

I already have most of it off, but it's just the little spots that are left that are causing trouble now. The torch won't damage anything, will it? What would make the head leak air in the first place? All the bolts were tight.
The fact that it was made in China. No, really, they probably didn't measure to make sure where the cylinder meets the head it is 100% flat & seals. There are a lot of 2-strokes out there that don't even come with head gaskets because they cut it so good, and still managed to maintain an internal pressure of 120 PSI.

EDIT: The torch could warp it a little. I'd try PB spray first.

Last edited:

Hard Core Biker

Apr 22, 2010
Sulphur, Ok
You know what's nice about this? Here's your worst case scenario if you do ruin it:

EDIT: make sure you get your matching parts, whether they be 48cc or 66cc.

Compare that to the top end kit I had to buy for my Tomos, which was +$100.

Oh, and if you used rubber gasket material, and it's kind of melted, use PB Blaster (let it soak), then use the green scrubber end of a sponge. I've worked cylinders with those before and they won't scratch it.

The fact that it was made in China. No, really, they probably didn't measure to make sure where the cylinder meets the head it is 100% flat & seals. There are a lot of 2-strokes out there that don't even come with head gaskets because they cut it so good, and still managed to maintain an internal pressure of 120 PSI.

EDIT: The torch could warp it a little. I'd try PB spray first.

Excellent advice! I need to go after that PB. I think Dad has some, but I'm not sure...

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
ok im gonna be a bit more possitive....first of all 16:1 is rediculous....what year is it 1950...2 stroke oil is allot better than that...second of all did you tinker with the throttle cable after the accident??? is it maybe not alowing the slide to close anymore....and third, gaskets are for sealing not so perfect surfaces....if you cant scrape any more material up with a razor blade then your probably ok...use the correct material(order a head gasket) and replace it....exhaust gaskets go all the time on these dont worry about it....it will have more power without it with the stock exhaust....half these guys on this site are using old cereal boxes for there exhaust gasket youll be ok there...but have you checked that cable and carb????my daily rider has been crashed numerous times....its always been something simple for me to fix