sputtering?

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

kyl 46&2

Apr 12, 2010
MN
got my build up and going finally, but motor seems to idle really fast or die on me, when i ride it sputters like mad **** and i seem to have to keep pedaling to keep it going, also i don't seem to get much response out of the throttle. i tinker'd around with the idle screw and that seems to be an all or nothing deal. the choke has to be wide open or it dies. my fuel mix is 20/1. i read a few posts about air leaks and it seems like a good place to start also how much resistance should i be feeling in the throttle it seems as though i have little to none

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Are you sure the engine is even running? If you have to keep pedaling to "keep it going" it sounds to me lik the engine isn't firing. The choke is supposed to be open. The only time it is closed is to start the engine and even then it's not always necessary.
As for throttle resistance I can't describe how much resistance you'll feel. Is the cable connected to the carb correctly. To check, remove the air filter and look down the throat of the carburetor. Twist the throttle and you should see a part moving, lifting, inside the carb. 20:1 is a bit oil heavy for most of us. 24:1 is about as much as you need to go and many of us start at 32:1. Check the main things: Spark, fuel and air. Remove and clean the spark plug, it could be oil fouled. Check these things and get back to us. Just a word of advice; instead of starting new threads with questions, please combine them into one. It helps others see what your problems are and what you've done to correct them.
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.