First Build! Complete!

GoldenMotor.com

D0ppleganger

Feb 27, 2010
CS, TX
Just completed my first build (took me all weekend :p )
It's a Pacific Kulana Riviera 26" from Academy. Spray painted the front end black because the copper/pink taupe was VERY feminine for a mens bike.
Motor is a 2-cycle 49cc RAW.
Sorry for the low light pic, it was rainy today!
Thanks for checking out my first bike!

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Very very nice, Dop.
Give some thought to securing the chain tensioner bracket by some means that it can not loosen and rotate into your spokes. They are notorious for that. It can be dangerous and expensive when it happens. Otherwise you have sweet looking ride. Enjoy, ride safe.
Tom

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
One member drilled and tapped an extra hole on the tensioner bracket.
When he inserts a screw and tightens it, the screw pushes directly against the chain stay to reduce bracket slippage and rotation.
There is a pic on this site somewhere.

Last edited:

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
Some people have drilled a hole right through the bracket and chain stay and inserted a bolt all the way through the stay, securing the tensioner bracket for good but they say it weakens the chain stay when you do that. I've done it on a couple of bikes and I've not had any problems with them so far but I'd prefer a better way, I would rather not drill any holes in the bike frame.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Some people have drilled a hole right through the bracket and chain stay and inserted a bolt all the way through the stay, securing the tensioner bracket for good but they say it weakens the chain stay when you do that. I've done it on a couple of bikes and I've not had any problems with them so far but I'd prefer a better way, I would rather not drill any holes in the bike frame.
(Keep in mind, I can be a bit anal retentive about mechanisms.) I plan, if I need to, to replace my current tensioner with one that spans the upper and lower chain stays, with a slot along the center to slide the guide wheel, and angle bracket/u-bolt mounts at top and bottom. The schematics are stored in my brain, I don't have a picture to post. But I may draw it out and post it here if it sounds like something somebody else might need. I don't want to drill or weld my frame either. Its integrity is sound, I'll just leave it that way.