Clutch!!!

GoldenMotor.com

dytesaft

Nov 9, 2009
norway
Clutch problems

Well, i was riding today, and my clutch became to slip more and more. and when i was gonna get home from a friend the clutch was slipping to much so it wouldnt start, i have been reading some threads now, and i see that i need to tighten the flower nut to make the clutch not slip, i have done that, and the flower nut is tighten as much as it goes to, but the clutch still slips and i cant get it started.

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
How clean are the clutch plates? Dis-assemble the clutch and make sure that no grease has worked it's way into the assembly. Norm has a thread on it in his help section.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If your inspection shows signs of grease or oil on the clutch pads, and if the product is available in Norway, pick up a can of 'disc brake cleaner'. It is a very aggressive solvent, usually available in aerosol cans from an auto parts store that is formulated to clean disc brake pads and rotors. It will clean the clutch and possibly restore the friction values. Let us know how you're doing. Also make sure your clutch cable is not adjusted so tight that it is allowing some slippage. Riding the bike with the clutch partially disengaged will cause premature wear of the clutch friction surfaces. You'll want to maintain about 1/8" free play in the clutch arm when the handlebar lever is in the engaged position.
Tom

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
Also if you use the clutch agressively it will wear out in no time. If cleaning dosen't work you'll have to order some pads. You can cut cardboard into donut shapes of the correct size and place over the pads. That will give you a few days while waiting for the pads.

dytesaft

Nov 9, 2009
norway
ok, will buy some brake cleaning and check out the clutch arm to figure it out, and if i cant get it working i will order some new clutch pads.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Also, adjusting (tightening) the flower nut will not help your problem.

Unless you have slipped your clutch heavily on a regular basis, the pads should not be worn out.

Clean the pads as suggested, and some can be pulled out and turned over.
Make sure you have your cable just slack when the lever is at rest, or "engaged".

dytesaft

Nov 9, 2009
norway
I cleaned the pads, and adjust clutch. and now it works just perfect again! no wonder it was slipping btw. there was a lot of grease on the clutch pads!

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I've heard on here that it only takes an eraser size dab of grease on the small gear teeth too lubricate the clutch side gears?..........is that a pencil erasier?