HF Engine Throttle help

GoldenMotor.com

Dawud

Aug 23, 2009
Prescott, Arizona
Hi. I am looking into a 2.5 or 6.5 engine from Harbor Freight. I pulled up the owners manual to try and get some specs and I realized it has a friction throttle hold. My question go to all who have used these engines. How do you modify it to accept a throttle cable and return spring? Thank you!!

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
Sorry, I missed your first post. Fossil (my brother) did the engine work on our 2.5hp HF engine, and he was able to modify it pretty easily. I'll PM him so he can answer your question.

Fossil

Mar 15, 2008
Guthriesville Pa
Hello
I disconnected the governor linkage and fabricated a bracket that bolted to the valve cover bolts. I ran the throttle cable through the bracket and connected it to the throttle lever of the carb. I used a brake cable clamp that I attached to the throttle lever to anchor the cable. I will try to remember to take pictures tomorrow. I will update this post then.
Jim

Here are a few pictures. The first picture is the throttle and the second picture shows what I did with the governor. I used the spring to keep tension on governor parts in the engine. As the engine revs up the arm pulls on the spring like it would if the linkage was still connected to the throttle. In case your curious the air cleaned is from a 2000 WC-1 Whizzer. It took a little work to make it fit but it was worth it. I like the look.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dawud

Aug 23, 2009
Prescott, Arizona
Thank you for your responses. I ended up settling on the 2.5 hp engine due to the weight. I still have a heavy diesel project on the back burner. Thank you again. My engine should be here either tomorrow or Monday.

SPENCER15

Nov 18, 2009
MISSOULA
i was looking at that 6.5 horse greyhound on Harbor Hreight but thats a lot of power for a bike. For my project i think im going to use a for horse power engine. If you think about it the 66/80cc will do 30 and its 2.5 horse. At the same gear ratio the 6.5 should do just about 50 (cvlt1i think)

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
I have a HF 2.5 an it is 20 pounds- a lot if it is on the back. Not bad if it is in the frame.
Think about the damage you can do to yourself or someone else if something goes wrong at high speed before you shoot for it.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Hello
I disconnected the governor linkage and fabricated a bracket that bolted to the valve cover bolts. I ran the throttle cable through the bracket and connected it to the throttle lever of the carb. I used a brake cable clamp that I attached to the throttle lever to anchor the cable. I will try to remember to take pictures tomorrow. I will update this post then.
Jim

Here are a few pictures. The first picture is the throttle and the second picture shows what I did with the governor. I used the spring to keep tension on governor parts in the engine. As the engine revs up the arm pulls on the spring like it would if the linkage was still connected to the throttle. In case your curious the air cleaned is from a 2000 WC-1 Whizzer. It took a little work to make it fit but it was worth it. I like the look.
Fossil, do you know what the idle speed is on the 2.5?