It aint the principle its the money

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
The dog my daughter rescued then dumped on me has a toe problem. It gets inflamed now and then. It also has a growth on the side of it. So I took her in to get some doggie antibiotics. Doc says we need to operate. He and my wife decide on a toe-ectomy. Amputation that is. Five hundred and fifty dollars.

He made one mistake, he put it off for almost a week. I told my wife let me work on her toe for a week. If it isn't cured or close to it you can chop off her toe. I bought a two dollar tube of tripple antibiotic cream and three pairs of infant socks.

Twice a day I greased up her toe, and put a sock, held in place with masking tape, on it. Not taped to her fur, just a loop then folded down the top of the sock like a bobby soxer. I also gave her a baby aspirin twice a day and a benedrile allergy pill at the same time. She was better in three days. It took a week for her to appear almost normal walking. She got a little rambunctious and had a one day relapse, but she is doing much better now. She appears to be back to normal. I still give her the aspirin and the allergy tab. I will for a few more days. Heck i live with pain and so does my wife. The dog is ten years old, I like the dog just fine, but five hundred and fifty bucks is a lot of money for a retired couple. Wife and I are both retired.

So what is the moral of the story... Google save me by showing me a place where I found that the antibiotic cream was safe for the dog. Also the baby aspirin and the benedryl. But always check before you self medicate your dog. Some of the people stuff will kill a dog.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Thanks Frank.... I'm just an old country boy... I can just say it's a good thing she is a female. I would hate to think what the other dogs in the hood would say about a male dog with one pink trimmed bobby socks. In this neighborhood they might think I'm doing a michael jackson tribute.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Baby aspirin works wonders for dixie. My wife has no patience I didn't mind treating her every night for a couple of weeks. Now if I could just find a way to get mama to pay me the five fifty I would be a happy bicyclist.

Other things that work pepto bismal (sic) for nausea.
As mentioned above antibiotic cream for skin infections. Lots of dogs have flea bite infections. Put on the cream and take the dog for a walk. they say the cream is in the blood stream in fifteen minutes.

Benedryl works for allergy and snotty nose. Dixie has allergies. The doc says dogs don't have hay fever but she sure as heck does. Her sinus get stopped over night and she sounds like doc holiday in the morning. All comsumptive. I'm actually afraid it might be copd. I guess I will have to build her a little cart to carry her oxygen.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I love the Knowledge of the power of Internet it saved me more than I am currently fessing! Glad to know the dog made it I love animals!! They always have that uncontentious love.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Country vet Joe my dogs call me....I have super glued bad cuts, cured "incurable arthritis" and got one dog healthy after the shelter we got him from said he may live a year and need special care. (we've had him for five now)

I guess "special care" meant "taking care of him".

akeyma

Aug 31, 2008
We did the baby sock thing and it always emabarassed the dog. Like she didn't want the other dogs to see her but it worked

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I just wanted to report that it was a slow recovery but Dixie is now 99% her old self. she is running around on all fours and playing with my other dog. She also has all her toes. I am so darn happy to see her playing and running around like a crazy dog again.

I have no idea what it was but she started healing the first week we put the antibiotic cream and the sock on. She could walk gingerly on it and she kind of hit a plateau for a while, but I pulled her inside all day for a week and did the sock thing again. The second time it seems to have brought her all the way back.

She seems to be a happy girl and that makes me happy. I really wrestled with whether I had done the right thing or not, but it seems that I did. She spends her days in here own little yard complete with bushes and dog house. At supper time she comes in for the evening. She loves being in her own yard, but she loves sleeping on my bed as well.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Tylenol will kill a dog from what a vet told me so research b4 dosing.
We used to use some blue stuff on horses for open wounds kept the flies ect off it and seal the wound.