clutch

GoldenMotor.com

ronnied59

Dec 29, 2008
nj
hi everybody, newbie here, maybe someone can help out with this problem. motor is 6 months old, & all was ok till now. i cannot get the clutch to release, clutch lever adjusted & held in, rear wheel won't spin freely. tried everything i could think of, read all posts on forum with no luck. any suggestions? thanks, ron

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
hi everybody, newbie here, maybe someone can help out with this problem. motor is 6 months old, & all was ok till now. i cannot get the clutch to release, clutch lever adjusted & held in, rear wheel won't spin freely. tried everything i could think of, read all posts on forum with no luck. any suggestions? thanks, ron
Ronnied59
I moved you post to the 'Troubleshooting' section.
Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place for help.
Have you removed the clutch actuator cover to see if everything looks good inside. Check the cam/arm that the clutch cable is attached to and make sure it is engaging the pin which should be protruding from the center of the sprocket. These parts require lubrication. Excessive wear on them can cause loss of sufficient contact if not lubed. Once you have the cover back on try moving the clutch lever with your hand instead of the cable. Can you move it far enough to disengage the clutch? If so then your cable/handlebar lever needs to be adjusted. Was this something which happened immediately or was it a progressive condition? (sounds like something your doctor would ask). If it just happened then something has either gone out of adjustment or broke. Cable stretch can sometimes cause your problem. Check these things and get back to us with what you find.
Tom

ronnied59

Dec 29, 2008
nj
hi tom, tried it all arm moves freely manually, have both covers off took 15 pads out & all parts look good. had plug out, head off motor is free but something will not release. when all together. talked to duane at dax & he advised this forum. also, i loosened nuts on both sides of clutch case to see if it would help. loosened flower nut couple turns to maybe slip clutch to no avail. scratching my head. thanks tom

ronnied59

Dec 29, 2008
nj
hi again tom, managed to free up by moving rear wheel backwards, worked for a bit as i was able to pedal freely on a stand then it locked up again. took plate & pads out again & seen what i think is the problem. the clutch plate holding the pads is uneven with the plate behind it causing it not to freewheel with clutch disengaged. seems that the pad plate is tight on that rear plate. the clearance is 0 between the two plates to 1/8 or so on the other end. any suggestions? thanks, ron