Go karts?

GoldenMotor.com

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I used to race karts mine is an alcohol fueled kart, briggs flat head old style engine powered still have it along with a bunch of parts, engines and extra tires etc. fun to do gets expensive being competitive I built all my own engines. I raced under wka rules in and around Virginia and west Virginia, here in Texas I raced outlaw run what you brung against 2-strokes and over head valved engines. I built one engine that has a blue printed tilliston carb, hot cam, lightened flywheel ,billet ARC rod, racing piston, ported, lots of secret things it will turn over 9,000 rpm. I'd rebuild it after a day of racing.
Norman

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
I remember hearing you can squeeze something like 13hp out of a 5hp B&S but it isn't cheap to do.

Weekend-fun, why not just leave all the stuff on the riding mower. There's a kid in the neighborhood with a yardman tweaked out for racing and it's faster then most karts I've seen. lol

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Go Karts? Yeah, I remember karts, way back before there were rules or classes. My dad and I ran a 12hp, twin cylinder Mercury chainsaw engine on one. That beast was clocked at 103 on a 1/2 mile asphalt oval track. And that's no bull, my friend. I still have the scar next to my right eye I got when the live rear axle broke, locked up the rear wheels going into a turn and flipped the car. That was the very early 60s. I also recall when Car Craft magazine was small and devoted half their coverage to go karts. Wow, that was a long time ago. Good memories though. Dad and I raced karts for about 5 years, then I got my first car and gave up the small stuff for the full sized ones.
Tom