CLUTCH Problem?

GoldenMotor.com

axeiom

Aug 28, 2009
Chicago
Never had this problem before...

When I lock my clutch handle in place, it will not disengage engine for me to pedal freely.
If i dont use my clutch lock and just use my hands to squeeze the clutch handle all the way
down, the engine will disengage and I can pedal freely.

I lubed the clutch cable and I tightened the cable but the problem wont go away. Any ideas?

I did notice that the clutch does not move as far when locked in place. When I just squeeze
handle by hand (no lock) the clutch moves a little more then it will disengage.

Hope all this made sense. :-||

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
my bike's the same way. the only way i can make that lock button work, is if i adjust my clutch so it's dragging when i'm motoring.

i know it's not because i don't know how to set it up right, because i spent hours adjusting it trying to make it work.

it's because those levers are absolute garbage.

axeiom

Aug 28, 2009
Chicago
Is just a clutch handle problem or some internal engine problem?

:-||

My hand is getting tired. Any suggestions on where to buy a better clutch handle with a good lock?
If that really is the problem.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
just the clutch handle (lever) problem. like you said, when you pull it just beyond the lock-pin, it disengages. i think it's just lousy machining on those levers.

do you have that spring on the cable between the clutch arm and the cable stop? the one that's supposed to be a "return spring?"

if you do, take it off. it serves no purpose, and it really reduces the hand strength needed to pull in the clutch.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
agreed...the lock is engaged at approx 1/2 of lever travel
if it dis-engages with the lock, the clutch wants to slip when engaged :(
I have always set it to release with a full pull on lever
I never use the lock

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Common problem. Me too!

You can make sure your pucks are free floating and your internal clutch mechanism is set to the correct tension if messing with the cable and flower nut don't do it....

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It all depends on the quality of the cutch lever that came with your kit. Some are indeed inferior and some are motorcycle quality. Like the old saying goes, "If you're gonna have a party, you've got to pay the band". Cheap kit = cheap parts. The geometry of some of the cheaper clutch levers leave much to be desired. They increase the force required to disengage the clutch and in the locked position do not allow for enough cable travel to keep the clutch disengaged. Spend a couple of dollars and buy a good quality clutch lever. Throw that thing that came with your $100.00 kit in the scrap metal barrel. Fortunately some kit suppliers such as Chris Hill have seen the problems and offered upgraded levers with their kits. You'll pay a little more but then you won't have the problems described above.
Tom

axeiom

Aug 28, 2009
Chicago
Ok...i removed the spring and tightened the clutch wire. It works better now, but I'll be looking for a better quality clutch handle.

When you engage the clutch and but do not use the accelerator, i noticed my bike just starts to move slowly, but then when I use the accelerator I start to speed off. Is that normal? Is it just like a car when you put it in the D and the car still moves slowly without stepping on the gas pedal?

Thanks for all replies.

I've had my bike up and running for almost a week. Logged about 10 miles. I dont go on long trips. Just quick 2 mile pleasure trips, still "road testing" it. Besides the clutch issue, no problems so far. I got a grubee skyhawk from Bikeberry mounted on a 19 in frame diamondback comfort bike.