Question,,The pedals are compeletely locked up since I've put the chain on.

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I fixed the idle issue. It worked. Thanks silverbear.

Now here's the new problem.

I rode around the block for 40 mins at various speeds. It was a fun/good
ride.cvlt1

Then all of a sudden the engine just slowly died. I tried to restart but no sucess. When I try to restart the engine would make the put put put sound then die.

Any ideas. Just when I fix one problem another comes up. I hope its not serious problem though.

:-||
Sorry, just catching up on posts. And Silver Bear is probably napping again.
So, you got it running but now it died and won't start. Let's start with the simple and obvious things first.
The engine needs 3 things to run; Air, Fuel and Spark (ignition). Take them in that order. Is the choke open? Fuel flowing to the carburetor? Does the spark plug fire?
The first two are easy to check and obvious. To check your plug, remove it, plug it back into the lead from the CDI, hold it firmly against the cylinder head fins and either spin the rear wheel, clutch engaged or push the bike forward and watch the plug's electrodes for a spark. If everything checks positive then trash the motor and start over...Noooo, I'm just kidding.
Do those checks and if you still can't get a fire come back here and we'll take it further.
Tom

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
I figure i will post here instead of making a new thread,i have a couple of questions.I got my kit installed yesterday everything hooked up.The thing is,i can move the bike freely even without touching the clutch,if i'm correct the bike should not move freely unless the clutch is pulled?What could be the cause of this?Thanks

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
I found out it was the clutch cable being inward way to much,and finally adjusted it just right its up and running!Again sorry and thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

axeiom

Aug 28, 2009
Chicago
I fixed my bike. I really didnt do anything. I just made sure everything was tightened and in place.

My bike works perfectly now. I'm still keeping an eye on the chain, but other than that the engine runs fine. I did about 3 miles today. Still working on my first tank of gas. I going at moderate speed not going full max speed (i did briefly). I'm going to go easy for the break in period.

Now we'll just see how long i can go before a big problem comes up. I greased up the gears, clutch, chain. I even got the kill switch to work!
I plan on installing a good quality NGK spark plug, in-line fuel filter, and find a better air filter. Other then that. Things are great. Thanks silverbear and 2door.

Any suggestions for parts that should be upgraded? or parts I should stock up on? Since I hear most the othe OEM parts are bad quality.

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I fixed my bike. I really didnt do anything. I just made sure everything was tightened and in place.

My bike works perfectly now. I'm still keeping an eye on the chain, but other than that the engine runs fine. I did about 3 miles today. Still working on my first tank of gas. I going at moderate speed not going full max speed (i did briefly). I'm going to go easy for the break in period.

Now we'll just see how long i can go before a big problem comes up. I greased up the gears, clutch, chain. I even got the kill switch to work!
I plan on installing a good quality NGK spark plug, in-line fuel filter, and find a better air filter. Other then that. Things are great. Thanks silverbear and 2door.

Any suggestions for parts that should be upgraded? or parts I should stock up on? Since I hear most the othe OEM parts are bad quality.
Well, that's great to hear. I think you've approached this build sensibly with care and asked questions when you needed to. I try to do the same thing, but as a noobie to all this, you did better than I did when I started. My engine mount was crappy, the chain kept coming off the rear sprocket, my fender came loose and went under the wheel... and I came very close to having an accident. If you keep in mind that we're asking these bikes to do something they weren't designed for and that the engines are inexpensive and unpolished... keep all that in mind and check nuts and bolts regularly, ride sensibly, make yourself visible to traffic... you'll be in good shape and have a
lot of fun miles ahead of you. I think you're off to a good start. And 2door was right. I was napping when I wasn't riding today. I rode about 25 miles with the dog behind in the kiddie trailer. Even after maybe 1,400 miles or so riding these motorbicycles the past few years, it is still a whole lot of fun. At first the fixing was a hassle. Now fiddling around with things that go wrong, making improvements and building more motorbicycles is as much fun as the riding.
Silverbear