friction kit tire wear

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Great catch and Thank You Citi. Big time important to check local laws.

Found this (and does allow for 50cc in Ky. But should always be checked before spending any $ or more importantly, riding on a road);

"A 'moped' is defined as having: "No more than two (2) brake horsepower, a cylinder capacity not exceeding fifty (50) cubic centimeters, an automatic transmission not requiring clutching or shifting by the operator after the drive system is engaged, and capable of a maximum speed of not more than thirty (30) miles per hour." KRS 189.285. If not sure about the vehicle, contact the County Clerk's office to find out if the vehicle needs to be licensed."
http://transportation.ky.gov/Driver-Licensing/Pages/Motorcycle-Moped-Licenses.aspx

And;

"Mopeds
In the state of Kentucky, a moped is defined as a vehicle that is a motorized bicycle with an automatic transmission, an engine less than 50 ccs, and the capability to rev up to a speed of no more than 30 mph.

You don't need a moped license if you plan to operate the vehicle on private property only; however, if you plan to ride on streets or highways you'll need to obtain a Kentucky moped license and register the moped.

You must be at least 16 years old with a valid driver's permit to apply for your moped license. If you already have a driver's or motorcycle license, it will suffice. You won't need a moped license, too.

Apply for your moped license at your local County Clerk's office."

http://www.dmv.org/ky-kentucky/other-types.php

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Man! I wanna do a front wheel drive with that engine. Thanks for posting Citi.

My wish list keeps getting longer and that bumped #7

MikeSSS

May 15, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Tire wear...

Just completed the first 100 miles on a Straton friction drive, Suburu/Robin 33.5 cc mtn bike.

26" wheels, Performance Gotham tires, thick tubes and too much slime. Rear tire pressure was 43 psig and about 6 miles was in heavy rain and puddled pavement.

No visible tire wear to date, can't see any.

This power rig has been 100% reliable.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Cool. I have one of the new "straight groove" Staton's too. I did notice more frictional drag re the older "cross patch" rollers.

They state that this will work in the rain and you have verified it? No slip?

People here rag on frictions 'cause they don't work in the wet.

Tell us all that the new ones do. I'm not gonna ride in the rain - :)

dirtwarrior

Aug 29, 2014
kentucky
Keep us updated on your bike and tire wear. How do you like it so far?
@ citi-sporter that engine looks interesting and an awesome price

Citi-sporter

Jun 16, 2014
North Bend, Or,
Yes, it is, although the 38cc displacement does take it out of the legality as an assisted bicycle here. I like 4 strokes and I'm wanting to make a Ryobi 26cc into a assist engine.