Seeking honest advice...

GoldenMotor.com

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I'll be posting more pictures soon of the upgrades to my ride. Before the seven rear gears shifted automatically and I had to manually shift the three front gears. After the upgrades my old 21 gear ratios range will be consolidated into 8 gears. This way I've still got the same range of gear ratios but the bike will be fully automatic. There will be no manual shifting. I'm using the Staton crank drive kit to drive a 34 chainring and a DPN 8 speed 34-11 freewheel in the rear. The autoshifting is being done with the Land Rider derailluer. The crank drive system is being powered by a RS 35 engine and a Staton 18.75 gearbox. Therefore no manual clutching either. In otherwords a fully automatic drive system. Most of the state laws I've read don't say the bikes can't shift gears. They simply state the drive system must be automatic and the operator can't shift gears. A legal loophole for as long as it last.

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
LR Jerry,
From what I have learned from other member's misfortunes, one should never shift gears while under engine power. Doing so tears up the sprockets, chain and derailleur.
One needs to let off the throttle to unload the power transferred to the chain, shift, then re-apply power.
I am very curious as to how well the Land Rider derailleur system holds up for you.
How smooth it shifts while under power and how well it holds up to the stresses and strains involved.
I really want a multi-speed setup, but Cali. is one of those states that only allows automatic transmissions. :(

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
no wish to start a debate here, but I'm of the opposite opinion - I avoid automatics since they are the only ones Cali charges reg & license fees for

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
The system works quite well for me. I've used it for nearly two years now. I'm also going to be posting videos soon. The upgrades include: DNP 8 speed 34-11 freewheel, 890 Sram chain and a Surly 34 T stainless steal chainring. This will give me the same ratio range in 8 gears that I used to have in 21 gears. Therefore I'll no longer need to shift the front gears since there's only one chainring ring on the Staton crank drive. I've adjusted the derailluer weights and lateral arm to shift at 140 cadence or around 6500 rpm on the RS 35. I use a peddle along technique while accelerating and decelerating. This helps to smooth out any rough shifting. The setup isn't designed for rapid acceleration but rather steady acceleration. In the future I plan to get rid of the belt and pully system on the derailluer and have a direct gear drive system. Disk brakes are in the future as well as upgrading to the Honda GXH 50. Cellphone holder and battery charger is coming as well.

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
no wish to start a debate here, but I'm of the opposite opinion - I avoid automatics since they are the only ones Cali charges reg & license fees for
You will get no debate from me, but...
It seems as though you have been misguided somehow regarding the auto/ manual laws.
Read it for your self, straight from the California DMV website here:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d01/vc406.htm
and
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/tocd3c1a8_1.htm

No debate here, just the law, written by the law from the law's web site.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Ok I've read the California motorized bicycle laws. After reading 406a I was unable to find anything stating an automatic transmission system can't shift gears. Just reading exactly what the law says. In fairness it also doesn't state the operator can't manually shift gears. However many other states' laws do state the operator can't manually shift gears. The setup I'm currently building is a completely automatic system. It will be able to shift between 8 gears. There is no type of manual shift lever or manual clutch on the bike. Therefore it has an automatic transmission system.

California motorized bicycle laws:

V C Section 406 Motorized Bicycle

Motorized Bicycle

406. (a) A "motorized bicycle" or "moped" is any two-wheeled or three-wheeled device having fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power, or having no pedals if powered solely by electrical energy, and an automatic transmission and a motor which produces less than 2 gross brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the device at a maximum speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on level ground.

(b) A "motorized bicycle" is also a device that has fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power and has an electric motor that meets all of the following requirements:

(1) Has a power output of not more than 1,000 watts.

(2) Is incapable of propelling the device at a speed of more than 20 miles per hour on ground level.

(3) Is incapable of further increasing the speed of the device when human power is used to propel the motorized bicycle faster than 20 miles per hour.

(4) Every manufacturer of motorized bicycles, as defined in this subdivision, shall provide a disclosure to buyers that advises buyers that their existing insurance policies may not provide coverage for these bicycles and that they should contact their insurance company or insurance agent to determine if coverage is provided.

(c) The disclosure required under paragraph (4) of subdivision (b) shall meet both of the following requirements:

(1) The disclosure shall be printed in not less than 14-point boldface type on a single sheet of paper that contains no information other than the disclosure.

(2) The disclosure shall include the following language in capital letters:

"YOUR INSURANCE POLICIES MAY NOT PROVIDE COVERAGE FOR ACCIDENTS INVOLVING THE USE OF THIS BICYCLE. TO DETERMINE IF COVERAGE IS PROVIDED YOU SHOULD CONTACT YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY OR AGENT."

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I think if you want top performance and reliability in a two-stroke, you want a Morini or KTM. The difference in performance and quality is truly night and day. A stock Morini or KTM motor will smoke 99% of all hot rodded chinagirls and last three times as long doing it. You will spend more money making the china girl stay together than the Morini costs brand new, and the Morini will respond far better to any mods you may choose. My ONLY choice for a real performance built two-stroke would be one of these little gems. The porting and durability is light-years better than the hottest china girl will ever be.

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
well, #406 says it is a 'moped' or motorized bicycle if it has auto-trans or if it has electric power

that seems to leave out the manual clutch types

and #8.1 says those things need to pay fees

again manuals are left out

it is just my preference to avoid unneeded fees

larry57

Mar 20, 2012
st james ctiy ,fl
Hi. I am a California resident & I've been doing lots of research on 2-stroke engine kits and I was seeking some honest advice. I have my mind set on purchasing an engine kit from Venice Motor Bikes after reading all the terrible reviews on Motovelo. But here is my goal: To accomplish riding at 40 mph...consistently. What are the list of upgrades that I would need to purchase with the kit in order to meet that speed goal?? I'm wondering what the best expansion chamber would be, and Sprocket tooth count, recommended bicycle tire size etc... From what I understand, two-strokes are prone to not being as "reliable" as 4-strokes, but tinkering and "building" my 2-stroke is half the fun anyways. I appreciate, and welcome your guys' advice, thanks! p.s. -I'm planning on getting the 66/80cc 2-stroke, not the 49cc one. Oh! And which aftermarket performance carb do you guys recommend? Good thing BikeBerry has the Hardware replacement kit...saves me the time I'd spend hunting around at the hardware store for them all. Anyhow, I welcome any and all recommendation on what to do and what to buy and install on the 2-stroke for max speed without having to worry too much about blowing up my engine. I hope this isn't too much of a noob question, but if I don't ask...I'll never get an answer. (^_^)

.duh.
you want to ride at 40 mph ,,the only way,, if you get grubee or any of the other china girl motors ,,a jack shaft will get you there ,,but thats alot to ask these little motors and 40mph on a bicycle ,,don't hit that bump ,,i've built a few ,,one with a jack shaft ,,running a grubee GT-5,,with 36t sprocket on a pirate adapter ,,pirate hi-comp head ,,expansion chamber,,maniac intake manifold w/boost bottle ,,nt hi-per. carb ,, on a greenline bch. cruiser ,,i top out at 33mph and thats ringing that grubee TIGHT,,i cruise at 25-27 very smooth ,,the jack shaft i built ran the same motor without the head ,,48 mph was the best i could do ,,aand its scary on a bicycle ,,think about stopping ,,i'm a hobbyest and real happy crusing at 25mph ,,stay away from bike berry they suck ,,pirate ,,sick bikes ,,piston ,maniac macanic are who i deal with i got scewed by bike berry on my frist build ,,stay away from the cns carbs they suck ,,i have 3 i'm trying to get rid of ,,so enjoy your build and keep us posted ,,also i looked into Morini motors there web site ,,and some folks in the business say the plant is closed down motors aren't availible ,,but that might have changed.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
as to 'specifications of the law', I've often found that if the law doesn't specify that you can't, you sometimes can

I've ridden a LOT these last couple years (with helmet, horn, & mirror as required for bicycles) and have not been stopped.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
you want to ride at 40 mph ,,the only way,, if you get grubee or any of the other china girl motors ,,a jack shaft will get you there ,,but thats alot to ask these little motors and 40mph on a bicycle ,,don't hit that bump
I concur, gears change everything.
Leave it to Cali to outlaw using mechanical advantage to improve performance and ultimately gas millage.
Next door here in Arizona we have no such restriction ;-}

I have built ~25 shifting bikes from insanely fast 45+ MPH shifters like this

To heavier bike shifters that love 35 MPH but will run 40+...

To 49cc 4-strokeers that will run all day in that 35-40 MPH range...

To electrics that need pedal help to hit 35 MPH but would go ~20MPH without gears.

Anyway I haven't had any personal ride that wasn't a shifter since my very first DD build and have no intention in ever going back to direct drive.
I am comfortable in that 35-40MPH range but 40 is plenty fast for me no matter how fast it will go.

The point is if you want to be quick and fast gears are the answer as those performance builds do 0-20MPH is about 3 seconds at hit 40 in under 10 seconds if you know how to operate it, which is unique to each build.

BIG WARNING ABOUT BUILDING A SHIFTER!!!
If you are a first time rookie MB builder I highly recommend you build a direct drive first just get your feet wet and see what is involved just to make that go as a Jackshaft shifter kit come in a box the size of a motor kit, has about as many pieces that have to perfectly added to the motor as well as the bikes BB, and they don't always play nice together

On a direct drive build you have a little fudge factor for back sprocket, motor mount, etc. There is no fudge factor in adding another kit in the drive train.

I know that sucks, I am just trying to save you some rookie grief, but hey build your first one, sell it, then build a shifter armed with 1st hand knowledge of the motor kit before tackling the shift kit ;-}

showcaller

Mar 9, 2011
Los Angeles
You are entitled to believe whatever you want but if a policeman decides to pull you over and he finds you are not registered you may find the time you spend in court, lawyers fess, etc. is not worth the hassle - even if you win, which is unlikely given how much in debt California is and needs the revenue no matter they get it. Just sayin.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Here in Tennessee registration is a voluntary thing. However you must still build within the guidelines specified by the law in order to use the public roadways. Anything outside of that can only be used for offroad purposes or on private property. (ATV's, minibikes or gocarts ...etc. including mopeds, scooters or motorized bicycle's which don't comply with the guidelines of the law). Sure there are gray areas but then you'll be putting your fate into a judge to decide as to what shade of gray he or she sees.

Last edited: