uneven tire

GoldenMotor.com

blckwlfny1

Jul 14, 2010
new york
I am using a new worksman rim,tire and tube. It was fine and even and then ia had the wheel professionally respoked by a very good shop and when the tire was re-filled I've got an unveven visably bulbous spot that throws off the balance. This is the second time this has happened to me.
It was suggested that I half deflate the tire and rotate it on the rim to set it.
Despite my best efforts, I couldn't rotate the d*** thing and when I reinflated it, the tire is now hopped out of the rim on one side
Can someone please tell me how to solve this problem?
Thanks

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
It's possible that the tire you're using has an incompatible bead with the wheel you're using. But since it worked fine before, you prolly just need to inflate in steps.

My method I use for cruiser tires to make sure they sit evenly:

Inflate just until the bead starts to set (about 10-15 psi). Facing one side of the wheel, grab ahold of the tire with both hands and rock it on the rim, towards you and away. Work your way around the tire, repeating the process. Add a little more air to the tire (to about 25 psi) and repeat. Look closely at where the tire meets the rim and see if it's even or very close to it. If it is, fill up tire to recommended psi and check again.

If the tire starts to get uneven before you fill it to recommended psi, deflate it a little bit and repeat the process, rocking the tire towards and away from you on the rim. Sometimes you need to bounce the tire around on the ground a bit at lower pressure to get the bead to seat properly. Some tire beads just don't play nice with certain wheels, so it's possible you need to change tire brands if you can't the beads to stay seated.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
What pressure are you trying to inflate to? Is it possible that you're just over inflating the tire. Cruiser or fat tires typically don't require the same high pressure required in skinny road tires. Check the side wall of your tires for the factory recommended inflation pressure and don't exceed it.
Just a thought but it has come up before from guys used to 80 to 90 psi in road tires and they have cruiser tires which only call for 45psi max.

Tom

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
That could be part of it too, Tom.

Some rims have pretty deep walls, large tires can have a lot of play, and inflating a tire while there is weight on it can cause part of the bead to pop out opposite, too.

Inflating a completely flat tire in steps with no weight on it goes a long way to getting the tire seated right. The larger the tire, the more likely a mis-seat can happen.