Bottom Frame Tube to Big

GoldenMotor.com

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Most of the online bike motor sellers offer an oversize front engine mount. You can also make one from a muffler clamp.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
My tube was oval, so I got longer bolts to fit.
Just wondering why you used threaded rod connectors instead of just buying longer bolts. There's no requirement for studs. Allen head cap screws work well and by using bolts instead of studs you have only one set of threads to worry about. Ace and most other hardware stores will usually have metric cap screws. You'll want 6mmX1 in the proper length.

Tom

UVsaturated

May 15, 2008
Dayton, Ohio
For convenience sake, you can drill out and tap these metric threads to 5/16-18 which you will find much more common in the US so that if you are ever in a pickle, you would be able to buy a bolt even at Wal-Mart. I've drilled mine out, installed 5/15 studs and used nylon lock nuts on them to prevent them from loosening. If your down-tube is too large a diameter, you can simply estimate where the studs or bolts you are using will straddle the tube and mark it with a pen. Then use a C-clamp and crush the tube smaller, as sort of a make-shift vise.

Risingsunn

Nov 24, 2012
Maricopa Arizona
For my front mount I used a universal mount and it worked great! For the back, I went to Lowe's and bought some standard grade metric longer bolts. However they snapped after about a 10 mile ride. So I replaced those will some grade 12.2 Hex head bolts.
I would just recommend replacing all your mounting bolts for EVERYTHING on your bike with the highest grade hardware possible to spare the headaches of having to replace them over and over and possibly even having to drill/tap them out when they break off in the engine. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!