Do you get a little more respect in traffic with a motor then on pedal only?

GoldenMotor.com

turbo1889

Jun 12, 2012
NorthWest Montana, USA
Hello, I ride in traffic just like I was a car or motorcycle in town on 25mph or less speed limit roads on all my bikes (internal combustion motor assisted bike, electric motor assisted bikes, & pedal only bikes) simply because I find that on slower speed roads I am safer as a part of traffic rather then being to the right of it and riding on the shoulder of the road.

I have noticed that I get slightly more "mutual respect" from people driving full size vehicles when on the bike that has an internal combustion motor on it then I do on either the pedal only bikes or the electric assist bikes even though one of my electric assist bikes is actually faster in both acceleration and top speed then the internal combustion bike (just doesn't have the range that thing drains the batteries fast).

Anyone else notice this? What gives?

Do "cagers" just hate people that don't have a motor that goes put-put or is it because they are somewhat used to motorcycles and it is easier for their mainly closed and limited mind to process the fact that we might have equal right to use the road as well?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining and because of this my IC motorized bike now gets the majority of the use for my commuting needs just trying to figure out the "Why" behind it all.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Montana is starting to look nice. You get some respect there, you say? Anything beats getting hit by a truck.
The good drivers here in Indy are busy keeping their heads down. The bad drivers don't respect anybody, not even city buses, and make the whole town look bad.
At least (last I heard) Boston is still worse.

turbo1889

Jun 12, 2012
NorthWest Montana, USA
We certainly have our fair share of idiots but, yes, I can get some respect in town if I hold my line and drive like I was a motorcycle.

It is just that there is a noticeable difference between an internal combustion motorized bike that makes the typical motor noise and a pedal only or electric bike.

Now if I could only figure out how to get them to dim their brights at night for me like they do with the rest of traffic, that would be the real test of respect. I'm operating at 400 lumina blue tint for my front headlights but I think I need to at least quadruple that to start getting to the point where I can blind them just as much as they blind me if I flash them with my brights to "get the message across" for them to dim their brights for me.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
I think it is just a perception thing. You have a motor bike...so it is percieved that you have just as much right to share the road even though we know that non motorized bikes have a right to the road as well. People will normally except sharing the road with another motorized vehicle, but take the motor off and start peddling and it will be percieved as "What is that crazy fool doing out here on bike?" The mode of transport is the same, but percieved differently just because the one is viewed as a motor vehicle and the other as just a bike. They should be viewed the same, but I guarantee you that they are not.

goofyfoot2001

Aug 16, 2012
South Carolina
In South Carolina, the yuppie types are as rude as ever, the peddle bikers with their queer looking tights on give you dirty looks like you killed your mother for putting a motor on a bicycle but the red necks love ya and solute your ingenuity and slow down to give you a polite nod. I just make sure to take up most of the lane so they don't try and squeeze by. They can wait a minute or two. If they get in a huff it's their trip, not mine.