Rookie to the scene.

GoldenMotor.com

Mildfury

Jan 29, 2012
Fort Pierce, Florida
Just wandered here and like it. I have a http://motorbicycling.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=44388&stc=1&d=1327824573 except mine isn't the limited edition. I was wondering if anyone has had any success attaching a rear gas motor to this style bike and keeping the electric hub. My bicycle is fine but the company that makes the bikes seems to be in trouble. The Batteries are a fortune and i mean a fortune to get the front hubs repacked. It cost me almost 1000 dollars last time after shipping and they were not even lithium. So i been looking at a honda gx35 friction kit because i only get about 18miles on a charge. The bike has really good regen braking system and cruise control. I was just wondering if anyone has attached a gas motor to this type of Montague folding frame bike other than friction. I would appreciate any ideas or links to any articles. The bike is 1000watts 36volts it does about 27mph on turbo for about 12 miles with no pedaling. It also has attachments for an battery on the rack and is already wired for it but i cant find one. I do love the motor on this bike so id rather have another one on it. Than change to something completely different. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy MildFury. Welcome to the forum.

A few folks have done the E/motorbike thing. I don't see why it would not work on yours.

Some great builds and ideas; http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partne...=0&gsc.q=electric and motor+dual power+hybrid

Wow, I just skimmed some of those posts. Seems like it would be a great project.

A thing I have been wondering about for a while was could you put a small generator on the rack and rig it to charge the batts or at least extend your trip. 27 MPH is purty awesome for an ebike and getting 12 miles.

This one is 40 LBS but like the idea; http://www.harborfreight.com/engine...s-900-max-watts-portable-generator-66619.html

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Expensive batteries are what prevent more people from riding e-bikes. The Honda rack mount with definitely work well. Maybe you can keep 3 SLA batteries on the bike so you can use electric power just for acceleration and headwinds.

Mildfury

Jan 29, 2012
Fort Pierce, Florida
The batteries are in the front wheel and they work fine. I just cant find any more to add to the bike cause you have to use their battery system and they don't make extra batteries anymore. I found 1 place that will make it for me but its 1100 bucks and then i have to disable my onboard computer to use it. So thats why i was just looking for a decent quiet 4stroke and if anyone has attempted it on this bike cause it is a really hard frame to add anything on to. It has so much stuff on it and everything is quick release so its hard to find anything that will just bolt on. Id rather not weld anything to the frame. I do love the bike style it does look rather sporty compared to most of the ebikes under 5k.