Springer install issues...bottom crown race?

GoldenMotor.com

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Just got my Sun Springer fork w/canti's today. I'm having a few issues with it on my Cranny. First, and most stumping is the bottom crown race...there isn't one. Second, is the alignment of the spring headtube brace with the spring bolt. This would be an easy fix with a spacer. The bottom race has me stumped. Is there a solution that I can do in my modest shop? Or will I need to find a way to have one pressed on?

Also, I may have screwed up the first threads on the bolt. Hopefully, not the brace. I knew it didn't feel right, so I backed off. Gonna try to chase the bolt with a grade 8 nut and see if it fixes it. Doesn't look bad. Just hope the brace is ok. So dumb...and pissed.

Bikesnfire

Jul 17, 2010
PA
Carefully remove the race from your old fork. See if it will fit. They should fit tight that you have to actually tap it into place. If it just falls onto the new fork, you won't be able to adjust your headset properly. A piece of pipe a little larger than the diameter of your fork head tube can be slid over the fork and tap the race into place on the new fork. Good luck.

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Ya, I found an old race that should work. I'll just need to get some pipe tomorrow to tap it on. I was also able to chase the threads on the steer tube brace. However, I didn't have a nut to thread on the bolt to clean it up. No worries. Need to upgrade it to a higher grade anyways. That's an easy fix. $10 from Home Depot tomorrow and I should be good to go, including a spacer for the head tube. We shall see...

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I'll do a write-up with pics in another thread of the install for other members with similar questions once I get the proper pieces. Couldn't really find much pertaining to a complete install. Figure it may help someone.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
You can knock your old lower bearing race off with a dead screwdriver & a hammer.

Sometimes it works well to cut a shim from some pipe to install between the upper bearing race & the spring mount to keep the angle of the spring correct & working smooth. ;)

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Gotcha. That's the plan I've devised. Now if only Home Depot was open 24hrs...

I just got a bit too zealous to mock the fork up on the bike. Trying to figure out how I want to paint it up...

Gary Harris

Jul 31, 2011
Houston
Throw the fork in the freezer for awhile and when you get it out, quickly heat the race with a lighter and it will easily come off.

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
Sometimes it works well to cut a shim from some pipe to install between the upper bearing race & the spring mount to keep the angle of the spring correct & working smooth. ;)
yup. was doin a thread search & found this.
in my case Im gettin the local engineer to machine a spacer outta stainless for me.
but a piece of pipe would do if you're not as fussy as me.

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
I'll do a write-up with pics in another thread of the install for other members with similar questions once I get the proper pieces. Couldn't really find much pertaining to a complete install. Figure it may help someone.
a write up on this is what would've helped me in the last 48 hours...figured it out in the end anyway