Kulana Riviera w/66cc BGF kit (my 1st motorized bicycle build)

GoldenMotor.com

maxsideburn

Dec 7, 2009
Scott, LA
Just starting on my first build. I have a Kulana Riviera that I've used as a traditional bike for almost a couple of years now.

In the last couple of days I've torn the bike down and begun to strip the paint. I'm going to repaint it in semi-gloss black Rust-oleum.

My BGF kit came in yesterday and hopefully by this weekend I can start with the actual assembly. I've attached a picture I found with Google image search of a Kulana Riviera, but mine hasn't looked like that in quite a while.

Attachments

maxsideburn

Dec 7, 2009
Scott, LA
Re: Kulana Riviera w/66cc BGF kit (my 1st MB build)

Ok, got the bike painted and started the assembly. Of course in such a humid climate paint takes months to cure...and I'm impatient, so you can see some scratches around where I mounted the motor. I'll have to touch those spots up later.

The problem I'm encountering though, is that the motor wants to mount low and end up pressing down on the sprocket (or whatever it's called) on the pedal assembly.

How should I go about mounting the engine slightly higher? I tried and when I tightened it down it always settled down into the same place.

Attachments

maxsideburn

Dec 7, 2009
Scott, LA

just played with it some more and it's extremely frustrating! the motor fit PERFECTLY, the mounts line up wonderfully and sit very flush...but then the pedal sprocket (big gear) hit the bottom of the motor (where the clutch is).

if I loosen everything up and move the motor further up then the studs are no longer long enough to bolt both mounts in place.

aargh. I was under the understanding that the Kulana Rivieria was a "plug and play" frame, at least as far as mounting goes. Now I don't know what in the **** to do.

fishguts

Sep 7, 2010
southeastern MA

Yep, different mount will do the trick and scoot it up a bit. I made my own, but here's the link to Sick's web site where you'll find their mounts in two sizes, depending on your tube diameter:

http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=22&osCsid=bjh9fmjliduf3a5quitijoigr7

You can mount it as the photo shows or turn the mount around and it will move the motor up higher in the frame from the same mount location. At least that's the way mine works and their design looks similar.

By-the-way ... did you sand down the chrome parts on your bike before painting them? If you didn't, you'll want to go back and do that and repaint. Otherwise, the paint will peel off before long.

That is a really good looking frame.

maxsideburn

Dec 7, 2009
Scott, LA

wait a minute, I have the BGF kit which comes with a "universal mount"...but it doesn't work.

the problem is that the two outermost holes in the little metal plate are still not as far apart as the engine studs are, so you can't use it. unless I'm missing something.....but then again I can't seem to find any detailed instructions on what ANY of the parts are or where they go.

really sucks.

Attachments

fishguts

Sep 7, 2010
southeastern MA

wait a minute, I have the BGF kit which comes with a "universal mount"...but it doesn't work.

the problem is that the two outermost holes in the little metal plate are still not as far apart as the engine studs are, so you can't use it. unless I'm missing something.....but then again I can't seem to find any detailed instructions on what ANY of the parts are or where they go.

really sucks.
Take a deep breath, man. You can do it. Just think your way through.

First, there's no such thing as one-size-fits-all, so, "universal" parts may not fit, well, anything. Second, you're building a unique customized bike not mass produced in the millions, so you have to figure out some of it yourself.

You can make your own "little metal plate" to suit what you are doing. Get a piece of steel from the hardware store or big box store in the size you need or bigger. Cut to length with a hacksaw and drill holes to suit your motor and clamp. You want to move your motor up a bit, right? So get a wider piece of steel than the universal piece and drill the engine mount holes at the upper end of it. This would leave the clamp where it is but position the motor higher.

Check out my hi-tech illustration! Old plate: [::] New plate: [: :]

Last edited:

maxsideburn

Dec 7, 2009
Scott, LA

it's just a bit annoying that the piece that came with the kit doesn't even fit the motor.

fishguts

Sep 7, 2010
southeastern MA

it's just a bit annoying that the piece that came with the kit doesn't even fit the motor.
Tell me about. Some of the products available to this hobby are really lousy. But there's a lot of experience and good advice on this forum. Hang in there, search through the threads. There are quality parts out there that are worth spending a bit more on.

maxsideburn

Dec 7, 2009
Scott, LA

btw, what's the easiest way you guys have found to bend a tailpipe? mine is currently slightly in the way of the pedals. I know not to try to bend it while it's attached to the motor, but what is the easiest way you guys know of?

maxsideburn

Dec 7, 2009
Scott, LA

ok, new problem. I got the sprocket mounted...but something is not right.

I had to remove the little "cap" that was right under bolt that's right under the brake (I think that's what it is, it's a little arm that comes off of the rear wheel and mounts to a bracket on the frame).

I tried mounting the sprocket without removing the cap but then the wheel wouldn't turn (pressure was being put on the cap), I removed the cap and the sprocket mounted very nicely and the wheel turn freely...but now the rear wheel is "wobbly", as in side-to-side play. I tried taking it for a quick ride (pedal power only) and the rear wheel wobbles pretty bad. Even just sitting there on the kickstand you can wobble the whole bike.

Attachments

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island

Those mounts are junk.
Hear is an easy fix. You need to change out the original rear mounting studs with new longer hardened studs then thread nuts onto it until you have the correct clearance.
I have used this trick on many bikes works like a charm. By the way the nuts should be tightened all the way down. The pic is just for reference. If you need more space just add more nuts.

Last edited:

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island

You loosened the bearings when you took the brake arm off. Just remove the wheel and retighten the nuts that hold them in place. Common mistake is tightening the wheel before the brake is attached to the frame. After you retighten the bearings set the wheel in place then mount the break arm. If you tighten the wheel first then move the brake arm into place it will loosen the bearings.

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island

btw, what's the easiest way you guys have found to bend a tailpipe? mine is currently slightly in the way of the pedals. I know not to try to bend it while it's attached to the motor, but what is the easiest way you guys know of?
Drill the holes slightly bigger then mount the muffler loosely. move your pedal to wear it would hit before and just pivot the muffler a bit to clear then sock it down.

maxsideburn

Dec 7, 2009
Scott, LA

uh oh...I tried taking it apart to get a look at what was wrong...and one of the little metal balls from the brake arm side fell out and I can't find it.

now the wheel feels like there is some resistance when I try to spin the wheel.

so if I can find the ball bearing and put it all back together what is the correct procedure? just tighten the **** out of the two sides, then put the dust cap and brake arm on, mount brake arm to frame, then tighten it all down with the outer bolts?

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island

uh oh...I tried taking it apart to get a look at what was wrong...and one of the little metal balls from the brake arm side fell out and I can't find it.

now the wheel feels like there is some resistance when I try to spin the wheel.

so if I can find the ball bearing and put it all back together what is the correct procedure? just tighten the **** out of the two sides, then put the dust cap and brake arm on, mount brake arm to frame, then tighten it all down with the outer bolts?
Basically. don't crank the bearings down hard, just tight enough so their is no play. if you go to hard they will bind.

WaterDries

Apr 5, 2011
Utah

I was having the same problem. The buggers are not easy to bend. I tried heating with a torch and about broke my little vise pulling on it. I didn't have to move it far but it wasn't budging.

You need something really heavy. I happened to have a pallet of bricks sitting there. Put something underneath the pipe so you don't scratch it. Put the motor mount end under the heavy thing with the bend on the ground and use it like a lever. Pull hard and steady and it will move. You will look funny so make sure everyone is watching. (You don't need to heat it for this method)

maxsideburn

Dec 7, 2009
Scott, LA

had to bolt my tailpipe to a 2x4 and bend it

got the bike running and got a few loose ends sorted out. got a better kickstand, rear hand-brake, and got everything tightened up and going.

my biggest problem for a while was that my coil wasn't working.