Goldenmotor

GoldenMotor.com

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
I've got a few questions for anyone whose ever done business with goldenmotor
Whats the deal with those ridiculous shipping costs?
these guys for real?
hit me back.
BBB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
BBB, the best place to ask that question is at Endless Sphere on the e-bike general questions thread. They have a list of good and not so good dealers there.

They are very knowledgable and more than willing to help a person out.

Steve.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I'm assuming ya mean goldenmotor.com & I'm gonna move this thread to our S&S section as it's vendor review ;)

I've very recently purchased a 'Magic Pie' hub motor, but before I did so I had that exact same question, wondering why in heck the shipping cost so much... I mean I know electric motors can be heavy, batteries too - but it still seemed way more than it should be.

As it turns out - most/all of the vendors are still drop-shipping directly from China to your door and/or purchasing in very small quantities. So you're actually paying S&H from China, not jus' across the USofA. Interestingly - few to none of the domestic importers say as much, just tacking on the extra cost w/o explanation.

Somewhat irritated, I shopped around and found that the most forthright vendor is in Canada: Golden Motor ebike Canada, while that means a lil more S&H, he's not only willing to tell ya what yer getting for the money, why it costs what it does - but he's extremely active on Golden Motor's support forum, helping with all sortsa Q&A: goldenmotor.com - Index

Bear in mind that being a manufacturer's support forum, you'll get a disproportionate number of "problem" threads and complaints regarding customer service... or the lack thereof as the case may be. While this is no doubt a big problem with Golden Motor direct - I've found Gary (GM Canada) extremely helpful & easy to work with, his service & return reputation seems impeccable...

I can't attest to that personally nor the performance of my 'Pie as I've not completed the build yet, but I've had a few convos w/Gary while I was ordering the 'Pie and he really was quite helpful.

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Think you will find that shipping batteries from China is expensive. The shippers have rules that the governments impose when they are air shipping them. Special containers and shipping methods.
If you buy one from Canada or the USA that is here already then you will find that they have added the shipping costs to the price. The shipping costs will be cheaper because they came by sea in a container. Air freight is no inexpensive.

Not to muddy the water but might I suggest a look at ebikes.ca. They are here in Vancouver Canada and Justin the owner is a major player in the e-bike world with a first rate reputation. He rode across Canada on an e-bike and put a blog on the Endless Sphere site.

He sells eZee, Crystalyte and Nine Continent sets. Their site has a load of information about what they sell and how they ship.
I never bought a Golden Motors set so can't say much about them but I was also informed up front as BarelyAwake was as to what I was getting and what to expect.

Steve.

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
Thanks Fasteddy-
Great site, lots and lots of important info.
But, its apples versus oranges in this case.
The ebike kit is maxed out @550w, with a 48v 12ah battery.
I want (and need, to haul my fat backside up to speed) A 1000w dual 48 v battery system with a 35+amp controller. close but no cigar.
I did see a few components that are worth looking into like ebikes great fully sealed bike analyst.
At least they explain the shipping costs, like they say here in Brooklyn NY, "what ca gonna do"?
Thanks again.
BBB

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
We're stuck with 500W and 20 miles an hour per according to the laws here but my 400W eZee wheel will make 750W at the top end with 36 volts.
Just wanted you to see the prices so you could compare with Golden Motors and the kits are here in North America.

Steve.

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
Yes I've heard that limitation before.Thankfully the local police don't care about electro bikes since they make little or no noise. As long as you ride safely they don't bother you.
Kinda limiting but as I said What ca gonna do?
Thanks for all the tips.
I'm ordering from Golden, the owners of the bike shop I work at want 4 electric bikes and 4 gassers built.
I guess I'm gonna be pretty busy over the next few weeks.
thanks again
BBB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
BBB,I think you folks get to have 750W of ripping horse power and 20 mph. The other rules are for Canada. They are terrified that we will get a taste of freedom and kick over the traces.

They will stop us up here and check for stickers to see if it is a legal conversion. We are supposed to have government issued stickers from the conversion sellers in French and English stating that the motor ect is approved.

At times I think they have laws to govern a one car funeral.

Keep us up to date on how the builds are going and what you are building. We all love a success story.

Steve.

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
Thanks Steve....
As soon as the parts arrive, I'll start documenting.
At the moment I'm working on cleaning up my dumpster dive found frame.First Zip stripping off all the old scratched paint, the fabricating the new swing arm and suspension,once i get all the parts i will then be able to weld up the tabs and mounts for the "in frame battery and electronics water resistant box"
When its presentable I'll post.
I'd like to take this chance to thank you, Barelyawake, and every other builder out there that have offered there help and for the positive encouragement.
Keeping em shiny side up!
BBB

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
Hello all,

Somehow I ended up on this old thread again. Just wanted to post an update. Things have changed quite a bit. No more drop shipping. Everything ships from my own inventory now. I have a new website and a shipping calculator. Now you can just add things to the cart, view the cart and get a shipping cost by entering country an postal code. No more surprise shipping cost at the checkout. I hated that old website to. Come and see the site, its really quite impressive. I'll leave you with a picture of my current ride. Click the picture if you want to see more. I have several .trk