Prep for a new motor??

GoldenMotor.com
Just got my new 48cc slant head engine. I read through the setup guide and was wondering if anybody has put together a "kit" with all the replacement parts necessary to prep the engine. I'm talking about the sparkplug lead and the nuts and bolts and the stud material.
Has this all been sourced before? I'm not looking to reinvent the wheel here.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Maybe you've found a niche? Or maybe you have given me a new calling!

No one has that I know of, although there are a couple sellers that sell "upgrade kits" on ebay that are about as useless as teats on a boar hog.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Most everyone needs to change out the clutch handle first thing before the darn thing will work at all. Mine never worked from day one, A simple brake lever will work if you don't want to go for the fancy locking clutch one.

If you aren't ham handed like me you probably won't need a different throttle. I broke mine on day one trying to start an engine I had assembled wrong.

Other than those an the plug wire, I'm not sure I would do anything different from the kit.

Skyliner70cc

Mar 8, 2008
Yes, you can get a kit at ACE hardware aisle 6 in the metric section. 6mm nuts/studs/bolts is all you need.

I'll head down to ACE tomorrow and see what's there. I bet though, that I won't find what I need without going to at least four to five places minimum. The cycle supply places will have the spark plug and some nuts and bolts, ACE or a hardware store or even on line will have the threaded rod, Pep Boys or auto supply place will have the spark plug wire and cap, loktite, gasket material and grease, a bicycle shop will have the clutch lever, and so on. There definitely is a niche market here and if a "kit" existed, you could sell it.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I'm going to work on it.

Threaded rod/nuts cut to length and marked for each location
New plug/wire/cap
Loctite
Gaskets (a few of each intake and exhaust)
Maybe grease, but that's fairly common.
Instructions like the "Prep and Care" thing I did.

What would be a fair price 9.99? (Loctite would be the most expensive part of the kit I think)

I AM looking to find a new vocation, maybe this will make me a few bucks....

Yep, I think you're right. I saw some smaller samples of loctite 242 here...

Locktite 242® Threadlocker

If you sourced all the parts I'm pretty sure that $12-$16 would be more like it.

If you added a plug, maybe get somebody to even donate some two-stroke oil samples, an inline fuel filter, and a #41 chain and you're talking maybe $30.

You could offer a whole kit or whatever anybody wanted. As long as you kept the prices reasonable, folks would probably prefer to one-stop shop rather than having to hunt it all down separately.