HEET/GasDry, winter riding and frozen jets

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
How about making a crude heat transfer duct from aluminum foil? Make it go from the cylinder to the carb, just wrap some around it all?

That way you could remove it as easily as you installed it once warmer weather comes.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
JOE, WHY DIDN`T I THINK OF THAT!!:-|| SIMPLE FIX AND MAYBE BETTER FOR THE MOTOR. HIS CHINA GIRL MITE BE SHIVERING!! IT MITE HELP THE FUEL IN THE CRANKCASE, BY BEING WARMER. JOE, THAT IS A GREAT SIMPLE IDEA. A FEW LAYERS OF BBQ GRILL TYPE FOIL !!?? .shft.

Sep 7, 2008
Omaha,NE
Okay, I'm going to get arguments here but I'm only passing along what I was told by the mechanic who comes to service the emergency generators where I work.
I noticed he had several cases of windshield washer fluid in the bed of his service truck, five cases, four gallons to a case, and asked him why he carried so much. He told me they put it in the fuel tanks to evaporate the moisture from the deisel fuel. He said it is the same as HEET, and cost a lot less. I asked "what about gasoline engines?" He said same same. The alcohol in the washer fluid evaporates and takes the water with it.
Okay, I'm ready for responses on this one. and it's not my opinion. The guy works for Onan, a big manufacturer of generators and other engine powered equipment.
Tom
I thought their was a considerable H2O in that stuff?

Sep 7, 2008
Omaha,NE
I have absolutely no problem with my engine in snowstorms, and at -20. In all actuality it runs better in the cold. Kinda like how dragsters have the ice bucket to chill the incoming air fuel mixture.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
yeah thanks, guys :)

ok, i foiled up the motor. theres about a 2"x2" hole in front for air to enter. i wont get a chance to test it until tomorrow.
Watch your engine temp!!! It looks from the picture that you've effectively covered all of the cylinder cooling fins. It requires some air flow over those fins to keep cylinder temp down and avoid overheating damage to that part. I'd uncover the front and let air flow over the cylinder and exit over the carb. In aviation we call it 'carb heat' and its designed to keep ice from forming in the carb venturi. That's what you're trying to do, right?
Tom

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
this is zero-degree weather.
i'll open it up a little more, and i have a meat thermometer i'll JB-Weld to the fins on the head.

EDIT: its about keeping the carb warm, by adding warm air thru intake.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2008
Omaha,NE
this is zero-degree weather.
i'll open it up a little more, and i have a meat thermometer i'll JB-Weld to the fins on the head.

EDIT: its about keeping the carb warm, by adding warm air thru intake.
One thing you may want to try, is building a coil with a pointiomiter to warm your carb of a 9v or the white wire. i had to a few days ago build one of these to keep the carb warm enough to keep her going.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
That looks about right Spun...if it gets too hot, just use a pencil to poke a few holes in it.
Remember, the exit needs twice the area of the entrance for air to flow out effectively. (I'd poke a couple holes in the head area only, not the jug.) Also, make sure you have adequate area open for your air filter/intake.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I used to wrap my model airplane engines in foil with no dire concequences. (sp?)

Now about putting washer fluid in your fuel.
Don't do it.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
I Think The Tin Foil Is Great, Cheap And Easy. THERE WAS A MEMBER "NOT SO OBEDIENT SERVANT" HE WAS FULL OF GOOD STUFF ALSO!! RON

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I used to wrap my model airplane engines in foil with no dire concequences. (sp?)

Now about putting washer fluid in your fuel.
Don't do it.
I didn't say I was going to put washer fluid in my tank, Joe. I was just pasing along what I was told. To further muddy the issue I took a sample of -25 degree washer fluid to the lab where I work and had it spectrographically analyzied for content. The results surprised me and is the reason I won't be putting that stuff in any fuel tank regardless of what the mechainc does. 67% water, 33% alcohol. Now how does that keep from freezing? Let's ask Saddletramp. Does he freeze when it gets cold outside?
Tom

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
My Son HAS A Tree Service In Ocala. 10 Yrs Ago, Give Or Take A Few Yrs, A Buddy Of His Asked What He Could Do To Keep His River Birch Trees From Peeling. Just Kidding, Son Tells Him To Smear Vaseline On Them. The Guy Did It!! He Was Perturbed Later, When It Was A Joke. True Story. Ron

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2008
Omaha,NE
2 Door, Thanks For Posting Your Test Results On The Washer Fluid. You Busted That Myth!! What Is The Cost Of Heet Now?? The Last Time I Bought Rubbing Alcohol It Was 2 For A Buck. Have No Idea Prices Now.. Its As Good As Heet!!
thats a idea... but the problem is still the 70% h20 content, over the counter Iso-Propyle alcohol is only 30%. Maybe the reason the guy was using washing fluid with the "Diesel" generators is their built to be a little more forgiving and are far more versitile in construction. **** some of the military grade diesels can run on just about anything that burns wether it be Beef eater vodka, Jetfuel/Hexane, Dieseol, Kero, white gas, and possibly filtered cooking oil. Or it could have been something they used or recommended to use so some block would blow their engine and have to buy a whole new setup. I would recommend that you look into building that bowl warmer/ carb heater.
Personaly knowing how i ride my beast that tin foil thing would not last very long, i give daps for the enginuity of such a thing but its defienately not a long term solution. Just make sure the element doesnt get to warm i don want a lawsuit cause someone burst into flames using my advice. =')

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I didn't say I was going to put washer fluid in my tank, Joe. I was just pasing along what I was told. To further muddy the issue I took a sample of -25 degree washer fluid to the lab where I work and had it spectrographically analyzied for content. The results surprised me and is the reason I won't be putting that stuff in any fuel tank regardless of what the mechainc does. 67% water, 33% alcohol. Now how does that keep from freezing? Let's ask Saddletramp. Does he freeze when it gets cold outside?
Tom

Tom,

That's why I said "Don't do it". I didn't mean to imply you would use it, just that I KNOW that it has a high water content.

Did you know that straight anti-freeze will freeze much faster than a mix of 60% water/40% anti-freeze?

fo'sho'!

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
That looks about right Spun...if it gets too hot, just use a pencil to poke a few holes in it.
Remember, the exit needs twice the area of the entrance for air to flow out effectively. (I'd poke a couple holes in the head area only, not the jug.) Also, make sure you have adequate area open for your air filter/intake.
yeah, i'll hopefully test it today. it's snowing uber-hard. that doesnt matter, i'm just waiting for megan to wake up to watch the baby.

i made sure the intake isnt blocked with foil.