what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Rode mine for the first time in over a week. Been sick and just haven't felt up to firing it up.

Seem's like she's happiest at about 21 to 22mph........that's the sweet spot as far as speed, vibration, motor load, etc. Maybe it'll increase the more it gets broken in. If not, it's fine as it is.

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.

I went and saw my witched doctor and he prescribed me a new anti psychotic medication to help manage motorized bicycle ROAD RAGE. laff

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON

Got a nice HT pull/centri built:

Then this happened after 2hrs of riding time:

So onto plan B, luckily had a spare to go in it:

The joys of motorized bicycle riding...

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK

I finally removed the large, cheesy red Skyhawk sticker from my clutch cover. I 'polished' the cover with a 3M polishing wheel attached to my drill. It now looks a lot more 'mature' in my opinion.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK

I'd finally gotten my bike to where there were no squeaks, rattles, buzzes, good brakes, and to the point that I wanted it. Rode it a while ago.......felt kinda squirmy in the back. Seems that the bearing cones have backed out. Guess I've got a project this weekend.

Wait.......another project this weekend!

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.

Don't fell bad, I blew up my PK80 yesterday . so now I'm building an even faster engine . ThatsDax has just gotten in a NEW TOTALLY BALANCED F-80 IN STOCK. I think he's calling the GTX Grand Prix .imagine that a balance crankshaft complete bottom in for 60 bucks plus shipping .its got Japanese bearings instead of Chinese and good seals . check it out I just ordered mine!!! And all black allen hardware .

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA

Don't fell bad, I blew up my PK80 yesterday . so now I'm building an even faster engine . ThatsDax has just gotten in a NEW TOTALLY BALANCED F-80 IN STOCK. I think he's calling the GTX Grand Prix .imagine that a balance crankshaft complete bottom in for 60 bucks plus shipping .its got Japanese bearings instead of Chinese and good seals . check it out I just ordered mine!!! And all black allen hardware .
looked around that site - didn't see anything like that listed

EDIT: found it way down the parts list

Last edited:

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK

Finally got the cones adjusted.

Also swapped out the plug wire and upgraded to an NGK BP6HS plug. The old plug didn't look that bad, but I've never been a fan of that funky 3 prong design.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK

I didn't see it either. Its not a call out,its a request for a link slick mouth.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

Traffic was very light, due to school being out. It was an exciting 20-minute amusement ride to and from work, instead of 25 minutes. A cop was parked next to the bike path, where homeless encampments are. Turned off engine, kept pedalling a few feet past him until I was out of sight, then motored away.

Yesterday, my 6" square 1/4" aluminum plate arrived, so I'll work on motor mounts today.

Also arriving was my new rear disc brake adaptor. YAY! Bolted that onto the frame, installed my commuter bike's 8-speed rear wheel tire and brake setup. The part that slides onto the rear axle is perfect. Bike's seat stay (dropout) is 9/16" diameter. The clamp on the disc brake adaptor bottoms out @ 13/16" diameter. Clamp needs an inner metal or rubber sleeve/bushing to be secure. Looking from the rear, the caliper could be shimmed ever so slightly to center the 203mm disc. Despite the glitches, the rear brake worked okay when pulled by hand.

The big tire looks AWESOME! on my NOS Diamondback cruiser frame It is a huge 2.35 x 26" Schwalbe Big Apple, rotor is 203mm. Might as well measure it for dropout clearance. Tire is 26'" diameter and 2.35" wide. There is 5/8" top clearance to the fender cross/brace, but the tire must be flat and pushed forward to bolt the wheel on. There is almost 1" clearance towards the front of the chainstay. Left side chain stay clearance is 1/4"; right side is 1/2". Left side seat stay clearance is 9/16"; right side is 1/2". Surprisingly, this frame has more room than my 2006 Diamondback Response mountain bike (commuter motorized bike).

I REALLY like my Schwalbe Big Apples.
Excellent handling for a 61lb. bike @ 35mph. The soft tire's tread is shallow, but the bike's never slipped on wet roads or gravel. Ride is softer, especially with lower tire pressure (35psi).

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

I measured my Diamondback cruiser frame to see if my Dunlop motorcycle tire would fit in the rear dropout. It's gonna be EXTREMELY tight in the rear frame!! Measurements were taken without the rim, but the tire is so stiff that the numbers should still be very accurate. I'm using measurements from my 2.35" x 26" Schwalbe rear tire as reference points on the frame.

The Dunlop 404 80/90-21 is the front tire for Harley Davidsons. It is 5/8" taller than my 26" tire and 3" wide. There is 5/16" clearance to the top fender bracket/cross brace, and 11/16" clearance to the front of the chainstay. Left side chainstay clearance is tight @ minus 1/16"+. Right side chain stay clears by 1/16"+". Left side seat stay clears by 1/8"; right side seat stay by 1/16"+.

Looks like the left-side chainstay and the right-side seat stay will need "clearancing". Since issues are on both sides of the dropout, the wheel cannot be "dished" to solve the problem.:-||

Well, I won't be certain until I mount the motorcycle rim onto the bike's rear wheel hub and try to bolt it on the bike. I believe this is the smallest motorcycle tire available in 21" rim size (26.625" tire diameter).

This Dunlop won't fit my 28" Rockshox fork. Sooo, I'm getting a 1987 Suzuki RM80 disc brake 17" fork and an RM125 21" wheel. The trick is to fit the Suzuki fork onto my bike. Then the next trick is to fit the RM125 wheel and caliper onto the RM80 fork. Correctly-sized wheel bearings SHOULD match the RM125 hub with the RM80 axle. This is the EASY way of installing a 21" m/c tire. If rotor and caliper don't line up, then I'll re-spoke the RM80's (17") wheel hub onto the RM125's (21") rim. More expensive to do it this way, so it's the last resort.

First I need to fit the RM80 fork onto my bike, which has 1" steerer tube. If cannot, then I'll use a K10 fork and its hub brake, and re-spoke it for the 21" m/c wheel..bld.

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

After searching the 'net for hours, I've found that there's a 2.75" x 21" tire. Sad part is that it's only available in offroad, trails, enduro or dual-purpose. The last choice looks like knobby mountain bike tires, but for motorcycles, like this one:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co.../Shinko-SR241-Front-Rear-Dual-Sport-Tire.aspx

Using reference information, rear tire side clearances on my rear dropout should increase by 1/4". The tightest left-side chainstay clearance would be ~1/8".
Looking better, might not need to clearance the rear dropout with a 2.75" x 21" m/c tire.dance1

Last edited:

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.

I skirted and ramped my new type-A Piston. Then I carefully yet very skillfully milled in the third transfer port into the jug I purchased from BGFER. LOL and of course port and polished the transfer ports to accompanyed by my ArrowReedblock and RT Carby. Which will perch rather nicely on top of my GTX 360 balanced Crank shift bottomend that I was so to be one of the first to purchase from THATSDAX.COM which will be topped off with the coolest looking and performing 6.0 RCMachine Head . That what I'm doing yesterday today and tomorrow .

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

Searching websites again.

Suzuki RM125 brake caliper doesn't look like it'd bolt onto the RM80 fork's caliper bracket.:-||

Therefore, the RM125's rotor more-than-likely will not slip into the RM80's caliper. It MIGHT, but I don't know that.

The simplest option would be to try to instal the entire RM125 front end onto my bike. That'd be its fork, 21" wheel, tire, axle, rotor, caliper, hose and brake lever. If I'm lucky, the bike's handlebar clamps on. If I'm REALLY fortunate, the 1986 Suzuki 125 fork's triple tree slips right into my bike's frame. Okay, maybe after the correct bearings/races are installed..bld.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.

Spent some time yesterday tinkering...

• Removed the exhaust hangers from the cruiser and examined the end of the expansion chamber the exhaust was welded to. Turns out it wasn't my poor weld job that failed, it was the pipe I welded to that gave out (sheared).
  • Found that the tank was still leaking at a stud. Going to have to pull it and figure something out.
  • Found I had an air leak behind the carb, so fixed it. Found it by shining an LED penlight into the intake of the carb and opening the throttle. The pinpoints of light showed clearly around the intake. I used a piece of scrap wood across the front of the carb to work it in the last half millimeter it needed. (Slid between carb and seat stay, twisted scrap until it pushed against both, at about 1/3rd and again 2/3rds of the way down the air intake until it was all the way in).
  • Tweaked the clutch a little to account for cable stretch and break in wear.
  • Wired up the speedo/trip comp on the cruiser as well.
  • Mixed up a can of 40:1 for the beast and fueled it for work this morning. (Almost exactly 10 litres of gas (2 cans) filled for $14.30 on Saturday).
Ans another week of riding to work begins.. :)

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA

not hardly worth the effort to fix a leaky tank, but if you really need to it can be done

first, cut off the stud and drill a hole right there

put a metal washer, then a neoprene (or other fuel resistant) washer on the bolt

shove a piece of saftey wire thru hole & out the filler hole on top of tank

tie wire to end of bolt and pull bolt down into tank & out the hole

add another metal & neoprene washer, then three nuts

double nut the last two nuts at the end of the bolt to hold the bolt while you tighten the third nut against the washers at the tank base

remove the doubled nuts and you're done & dry

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.

Set up a three brake system:
-homemade dual pull brake lever pulls front v brake and rear caliper
-Front disk brake
It stops so well now.
Made a secondary spring loaded chain tensioner
Put on a new stem
New grips
Rejetted from a 66 to a 67
New exhaust gaskets that only leak a little but *~*
Hit 38.1 mph on my test run before I had to stop at a stop sign - it still had some more to give. Sux because I live in the city and there are not really any places where I can wind out my bike without interference from cars / lights / stop signs.... Whatever.

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.

my new ThatsDax balance GP 360 balance crankbottom in showed up today so I got my motor built painted in in frame. I cursed out my girlfriend and gave the landward the finger .it was a good day all in all .

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas

my new ThatsDax balance GP 360 balance crankbottom in showed up today so I got my motor built painted in in frame. I cursed out my girlfriend and gave the landward the finger .it was a good day all in all .
Seems legit.

Thought about riding it. Still haven't ordered parts yet. lol