Is mix ratio super critical?

GoldenMotor.com

Sign Guy

Jan 19, 2010
Everett, WA
I admit I'm a 4 cycle guy and the 2 stroke is something I haven't messed with much. I've got a few chainsaws, weed whackers, etc but that's about it.

I started out my BGF motor with a 24:1 mix with synthetic oil. I kept this ratio for about 120 miles and my recent tank I'm running at 32:1 which doesn't seem like much to me but the engine just doesn't seem to spin up like it has in the past few rides. I also am trying a different brand oil in this new tank.

I did do some maintenance put some locktite on the crank gear that backed out and started rubbing the right case and also installed the dual brake lever on the right side which caused me to remove the throttle. Now I didn't pay much attention to the throttle but it appears that I have about a 90 degree twist from off to full wide open. I'm thinking that that is ok but maybe it should be more?

On another note the bike has had a rough time starting the last couple of times where I'm pedaling for quite some time before it fires, coughs, sputters and gets running. I do not use the choke and once hit the primer 3 times.

Other than that I don't know why it's hard starting and not spinning up. Speeds are down about 3 mph on the flats and much slower on the hills.???

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
You should break it in with the same type of oil that you intend to use for the life of the engine.
Also, the mix ratio that you used is good...(24:1 then 32:1)
It will start to run better the more it breaks in. (^)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I agree with Venice but I'd also ask what the oil manufacturer recommends for ratio mix. Some synthetics are made to mix 40, 80, even 100:1. You might be using much more oil that you need. 24 and 32:1 are good for regular 2 cycle oil but I'd check what the container says about your synthetic.
Tom

Sign Guy

Jan 19, 2010
Everett, WA
I have been using the Pro-Mix from Lowes since it's about a mile from my house and then decided to try the Husqvarna which is what I think I have in there now. Shop 2 stroke oil at Lowes.com
Since they just have these small expensive containers I want to get a qt bottle and saw some at Shucks and Autozone since I am using it quite a bit faster than I had anticipated. I want to move up to 40:1 - 50:1 in my next tank which I'll have about 170-180 miles on the motor. I have been keeping up with the discussion on the Opti2 mix which sounds pretty decent and if they start selling it at Ace Hardware that will be nice! Don't know if you can get it in qt containers but if so that would be a great option to.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
When you went to the 32:1 you made the oil to gas mix leaner (which is O.K.) but you also made the fuel to air ratio RICHER, so your engine will run a bit different. Try moving your C clip up one notch and see if it helps.

Down_South

Aug 28, 2008
North Carolina
Yeah, I'd say its pretty critical. Lowes 2 cycle oil is overpriced. Good old Walmart 2 cycle oil is all that I've ever used. It costs me $1.27 for 8 oz. bottle, but who knows if it will stay at that price for very long. Also, seeing that your more familiar with 4 strokers, it is important to understand (if you don't already) that there are several grades of 2 cycle/stroke oil, "TC" - for air cooled engines and "TCW" - for water cooled engines. I have run both types on my china engine and learned the hard way that "TC" air cooled engine oil works best, otherwise you'll end up fouling up the spark plug. Just thought I'd let you know so you don't end up doing something stupid like I did. oy vey! Other than that, I'd suggest what Joe was saying about the clip on the carb jet needle.

Last edited:

Sign Guy

Jan 19, 2010
Everett, WA
Thanks Down South! I didn't realize there were 2 different types of oil. I also agree that Lowes is way overpriced thats why I'm looking around at different places to get it. I've seen some at Schucks and Autozone for $7-8/qt but since I still have enough synthetic oil from lowes sitting around I'll use it up before I try something different. I'll most likely go find some of that opti2 thats been getting all the rave reviews here and see how that performs.

I pulled the carb off yesterday and checked out the slider and it was halfway up the slide already so I adjusted the cable so it was about 1/16" or so above the bottom and will take it out this afternoon to see how that changes things. I'm thinking it will fire up much easier but we'll see.

Alson

May 16, 2010
Kankakee Illinois
I always put the choke on, then when it starts up I wate till it spites alot yhen push it down just a little then it has good pick up. I ride that way for about two blocks tjen I open the ckoke all the way, run good then, but still takes a wile to warm up, maybe 10 to 12 blocks, then it will run wide open

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
It is not a good idea to use synthetic for break in. If you do.. Your motor will not break in properly. After break in, you can switch to synthetics if you like but not needed. If you simply use Valvoline 2 stroke oil, you will have the best 2 stroke oil made and it is a non synthetic. My Factory tells me to mix 32:1 on my KX250 and my KTM 440EXC race bikes. You can run 20:1 for break in and then go to 40:1 there after and be fine. I have been running Valvoline 2 stroke oil in my race bikes for almost 40 years now. It is the best stuff I know of. Bel Ray, Golden Spectro, AMS oil and the like.. It is not better than Valvoline. They do cost more.. A lot more. But they are not better. I know some guys that run 100:1 with certain synthetics.. But I can not recommend this. Also.. I do not sell any oil. This is just from my experience. Valvoline is really good stuff for sure. You can call Valvoline 1-800-teamVal and converse with their Petroleum Engineers and Techs. They know their stuff.. They can tell you what is best to use for your motor. What I find intresting about Valvoline is that they have so many Synthetic oils for just about everything.. Except 2 strokes. They do not make a synthetic 2 stroke oil. Enjoy the ride...

Last edited:

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
You can find the Valvoline 2 Cycle motor oil at Meijers! Yeah, I added the "s" because I'm from Michigan. We also say "Labatt's Blue". But yes I agree with ThatsDax; the Valvoline 2 cycle oil is top quality.. In the interest of full disclosure - I do work for Valvoline corporate here in Lexington but I can tell you that we're VERY proud of our 2 stroke conventional and we have an EXCELLENT team of scientiests / formulators, etc. It's great to hear the unbiased review, especially from someone like ThatsDax!!

Last edited: