Rear brake installation?

GoldenMotor.com

CallMePavz

Jun 16, 2012
ESVA
I was driving around yesterday when I found a bike discarded on the side of the road. There was no seat, lots of rust, and the front tire was pulled from the wheel and wrapped tightly around the handlebars for reasons I cannot fathom.

It was a simple, fixed-gear beach cruiser with coaster brakes, decals read "Cruisin' USA", but no manufacturer's name was visible. Regardless, like the best things in life, it was FREE.

Well, I stuffed it into the backseat of my car and headed off.

I took it into the shop at work today, since I was heading in anyway to fix a bike for one of the women in the office (I work at a camp).
The camp keeps several bikes around for summer staff to use, and I've become the default bike mechanic to keep these things in a functioning state. When one becomes beyond saving, I cannibalize it for parts.

Anyway, I stripped a broken down mountain bike for parts (the shifter controls went to the office woman's bike), so I decided to use it to rehab the bike I picked up off the road.

Snagged the entire front assembly (fork, wheel, tire, brakes, controls). Took the seat, post, and quick-release adjustment bolt (though I'll probably get a better seat...). I also took off the mountain bike's rear wheel (with gear assembly), as well as the rear derailleur. The frame needed to be stretched out a bit to fit, but it's all on there.

But now I have no rear brakes. There's nothing to mount read brakes to on the frame.
I did notice a mount plate in another thread, but that looked more like it was made for use on the front forks. Would it work on the rear?
Or is there an alternative form of braking system that would work? Like a universal set of V-brakes that clamp to the frame?

Thanks.

EDIT: Can't get a picture yet, but this eBay listing is an IDENTICAL bike (only in far better condition and mine's black), right down to the foam-covered handlebars.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRUISIN-USA...166?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfe230be6

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
hey, that was my bike! my seat fell off so i left it by the side of the road while i walked to get a new one. i wrapped the tire around the handlebars so no one would steal it.

and rust? how dare you! that's "patina!" it took years of leaving it outside to get it looking like that!

i found an old seat up the road at some camp off a women's mountain bike. if you want it, lemme know...:)

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
The brake plate adapter will work, but an easier option would be simple caliper brakes. They usually come on cheap mtbs or bmx bikes. here are some: http://www.porkchopbmx.com/1080-sty...ke-caliper-SILVER-ANODIZED-BRDI1080R-ARCH.htm

less or more fancy ones can be found for cheaper or more money.
Some people prefer brakes that actually work well. Coaster brakes and calipers need not apply.

V-brakes outperform coasters and calipers any day of the week. Not all bikes come with provisions for these, this is why there are adapters.

Cheaping out on brakes is a really stupid way to save money for go-fast goodies or anything else, IMHO.

CallMePavz

Jun 16, 2012
ESVA
Some people prefer brakes that actually work well. Coaster brakes and calipers need not apply.

V-brakes outperform coasters and calipers any day of the week. Not all bikes come with provisions for these, this is why there are adapters.

Cheaping out on brakes is a really stupid way to save money for go-fast goodies or anything else, IMHO.
Is there any particular reason that caliper breaks suck? They'd certainly be the simplest installation, as I believe there's a spot to mount the single, central attachment point. Since I have the mountain bike's V-brakes on the front (ie: 80% of one's braking), can I get away with the calipers on the rear? Or should I get the plate adapter and transplant the mountain bike's rear brakes, too?

What I'd really like to know about that plate adapter is how it attaches to the frame? I think I read something about hose-clamps in the other thread... That sounds kinda shady. Would drilling and tapping the frame ruin the structural integrity? Would I be better off welding the plate to the frame?

CallMePavz

Jun 16, 2012
ESVA
hey, that was my bike! my seat fell off so i left it by the side of the road while i walked to get a new one. i wrapped the tire around the handlebars so no one would steal it.

and rust? how dare you! that's "patina!" it took years of leaving it outside to get it looking like that!

i found an old seat up the road at some camp off a women's mountain bike. if you want it, lemme know...:)
Oh, a wise-guy, ehhhh? :p

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
yup...:)

i run coaster brakes on a lot of bikes. the shimano cb-e110 is the only way to go, though. all the cheap ones fail. and i have front drum brakes on all my bikes.

if you're just building a cruiser, your brake setup should be adequate. your frame should have a "brake boss" welded across the two tubes ("seat stays") in the back. there's usually a hole drilled in the center. sometimes it's drilled straight down for brakes, or opposite for a fender tab.

if it's straight down you can mount calipers.

getting all crazy with a v brake mount isn't really neccessary, but it's up to you.

CallMePavz

Jun 16, 2012
ESVA
I'm thinking a set of calipers should be enough. I might change that if I decide to transplant the Chinagirl off my Schwinn Clairmont, but for now it'll suffice.

I'm assuming there's some standardization or adjustability as far as calipers go? Or am I going to have to take some precise measurements before I even THINK about ordering a set?

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.
The pair in the link I responded will work. If you REALLY dial in calipers and have a good 5 inch + break leaver they are fine. I think that a really overlooked part of caliper breaks in the necessity for a break lever with leverage, especially at high speeds. I have front V brakes and rear fancy bmx caliper breaks with a moped break lever. I can lock up the rear wheel at 25mph no problem! For peddle power calipers are fine, if you motorized I would consider switching to a fork with brake bosses for v brakes. Moto

CallMePavz

Jun 16, 2012
ESVA
Update and pictures!

I obviously wasn't paying close attention when I went over the frame. It's plainly marked as a "Rand" bike. Not that this changes anything. lol.

Anyway, I cabled up the derailleur and fixed the cable on the front brakes. A trip to the hardware store, tomorrow after work, should supply me with a fresh chain, a set of grips, rear brake cable, a new seat, and possibly a set of caliper brakes.
Add a rattle-can paintjob, possibly army green, and my beach-cruiser/mountain-bike hybrid should be finished.