No clutch ball??

GoldenMotor.com

frozenveinz

Sep 25, 2011
Washington
Well I took off drive sprocket cover today to clean all the gunk and stuff out, when I realized there is no little ball where the clutch arm slides into. I checked, it is not stuck in with grease or anything. I put the cover back on andit still works perfectly, I beleive I never had one to begin with.... Huh?! I thought it was necessary?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If your clutch works then the ball bearing is in there. Without it you would not be able to disengage the clutch. I promise. It's there but stuck in grease/goop. If you have a strong pencil magnet you can get it out to clean and re-lubricate.
I'm assuming you know the bearing goes in behind the steel pin that protrudes from the center of the sprocket.
Tom

Last edited:

gokart25

Sep 26, 2011
Iowa
put some thick grease on something and stick in there, it will probably come out with it ...mine did.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
If your clutch works then the ball bearing is in there. Without it you would not be able to disengage the clutch. I promise. It's there but stuck in grease/goop. If you have a strong pencil magnet you can get it out to clean and re-lubricate.
I'm assuming you know the bearing goes in behind the steel pin that protrudes from the center of the sprocket.
Tom
Without it you would not be able to disengage the clutch. I promise. I'll second that...the ball is in there. Without the ball the pin (bucking bar) won't stick out far enough for the clutch arm to push it in and disengage the flywheel. It's a 3/16" ball, and will cause the pin to protrude out of the shaft by about 1/4".

Last edited:

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
What you might try if you don't have a pencil magnet is take a screw driver with any magnet you have "sticking" around (pun intended) and stick it to your screw driver then stick the screw driver into where the bucking bar was till you feel you hit something and slowly pull the screw driver out and your ball bearing might be stick to the end! But I agree if your clutch works the balls in there! Kip.
[email protected]

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I agree, without the ball bearing in there the bucking bar wouldn't be long enough to push the clutch, so it must be there, stuck in by grease. I rarely have one fall out even when the bucking bar is out and the motor is set on its side, they like to stick in there.
Why are you so intent on getting it out? If you clutch is working just pack some clean grease in there and ride! Trust me, your not riding without the bearing unless you put a longer bucking bar in there.....