Any improvements in the last 2 years?

GoldenMotor.com

cityevader

May 11, 2008
Santa Cruiz, CA
So it's been a couple years since I left this hobby two years ago out of frustrations from a lack of quality products.
I've tried Chinese in-frame junk, as well as purportedly good quality rear-mount 4-stroke Grubee setup.

So have there been any products in the last two years that are "game-changers" or offer substantial improvements in durability compared to prior designs? Or has not much changed? I'm getting that itch again, but may just get a used Vespa instead.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
nope. it's still the same. we're all building huffy cranbrooks and still trying to figure out how to make the sprockets fit over our coaster brakes.

my baffle fell off of my exhaust yesterday, and now my bike's much faster.

no one needs a helmet or license to ride these yet, either.

we're all still running used motor oil at 16:1, drilling holes in our frames, and those darn chain tensioners keep getting stuck in our spokes.

everyone's happy with the peanut tanks, the plastic throttles, and the rag joint. there's really been no developements or improvements at all...

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
The important thing is that we are all deliriously happy. Where ya been buddy? Fire up a happy Time ''motor'' and join us we all missed yeah.:Drotfl

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Nothing major, just small stuff.

Small stuff on the good side - steel lined cylinder heads, sealed bearings in the chain tensioner.

Small stuff on the bad side - catalytic exhausts, CNS carbs.

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
Sure jump in the pool, apparently you've already been in the water once.

The basic make up of these hasn't (and doesn't look like it's going to) changed. If anyone really thinks they are going to get a Morini grade motor out of China, Ain't gonna happen. These kits are what they are. If you didn't like them back then, I don't think you will like them now. You are more than welcome to join us in the Peter Pan lifestyle though.

brucemg51

Jul 10, 2008
Used to be when I received a kit I could keep up with the news in Beijing because the parts were all wrapped in Chinese newspapers. I actually sorta miss that.

cityevader

May 11, 2008
Santa Cruiz, CA
hahaha, silly hobby. My other hobbies advance so fast only a few months make things obsolete, much less a few years!

IF, capital IF I go this route again, it'll be ultimate simplicity/bombproof type, so likely a friction drive setup.

The idea of trading my motorcycle for a Vespa is appealing too.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Serially,

I'm always talking up the billet intake- getting the carb closer to the motor really seemed to help-

the new 66NT carb also helps for a smoother running motor, but not as much as the billet intake,

there's also the CNS carb and the new billet intake there

a deraileur and freewheel on the pedal side help eliminate motor chain tensioners
and a cruiser frame with cantaliever brakes or set up with 700 C wheels helps cut clearnce problems otherwise, as will a smaller sprocket

yodar

Jul 26, 2010
Orlando Fl
Thanks to our current regime, the fuel situation is really harming a lot of working stiffs around here. I have had many inquiries from people about how they can get a little grocery getter like mine

Several friends have abandoned driving, able to JUST make the operating expenses of their car and now seeing the straw of added fuel costs break their back. Several guys I know are riding theirs to work, and several guys THERE are asking how to do it.

yodar