Mini Cargo Rack

GoldenMotor.com

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I've used many cargo racks. Most are bigger and stronger than I need.
I decided to build one from some parts left over from a shelving unit.
My fender struts are very strong, so I can support my mini rack on them.

First pic - Mini rack is folded and stowed.

2nd pic - Cross brace is unfolded for stability.

3rd pic - Rack trunk is attached to the mini rack and ready for cargo.
I tested this setup with six cans of soup on board with no problems.

bitsnpieces

Dec 9, 2010
Melbourne, AUS
Very nice rack! (No pun intended. :p)

I like the foldable brace you have, but would personally prefer having a second at the rear to give it better support on the back end.

Even if the braces have to be smaller a bit, or even just make the back one smaller and keep the longer front; just having an extra brace for the back support is all.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Bits - My original plan was to have a second brace on the rear. Clearance problems between the bolts and fender deterred me. A second brace would have also made the rack longer when the brace is folded or stowed.
To compromise, I did two things. First was to put a license plate in the bottom of the rack bag for strength (it fit great with some folding on the ends).
The second compromise was to fasten some zip ties at the rear of the rack to provide a place to fasten the rear of the rack bag.
So far, it has proved adequate for hauling a gallon of milk or libation.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
While I was working on the mini rack, I added some springers to my seat. The springs came from my son's old push scooter.

bitsnpieces

Dec 9, 2010
Melbourne, AUS
Ooo... I would have thought the seat to be pretty solid to begin with, do the springs help a bit?

Also, was thinking that the rear piece would be a short stubble one, since there's a bit of clearance at the back, or even a bit longer to put it at the very end; still shouldn't reach past the back of the wheel.

But I guess if the zip ties and the plate helps stabilise the cargo, should be okay then. I just simply would think that the end would have slight tilt since it's only balanced straight through the middle, but the zips should hold it.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
The springers are just for looks. They do not support the seat. I had made a cantilevered layback mount for the seat (again, from parts from a push scooter).
The home made cargo rack can sway a bit. As long as I don't overload it (10 lbs max), it will keep things in place.