SBP Shift Kit and Shimano Grip Shifters

GoldenMotor.com

soccerrj88

Sep 30, 2009
Florida
Well after having the bike for bout a year I finally couldn't take the single speed anymore so I got the SBP shift kit. I just got it installed and I kinda have a two question in one thread. One is the the grip shifters i have had 3 speeds in front and 7 in rear. Well the front was obviously disabled for the kit but its a pain havin the rear shifter on the same hand as the throttle. Did anybody else have this problem and what did you do?

Second question is the chain from the jackshaft to the crank keeps loosening up. It's as if the motor keeps shifting but the mounts are tight and the tensioner between the frame and motor is tight. I've tightened it 3 times just today and i installed it today? Any ideas?

brnot

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
Move the rear grip Shift over to the left hand side. The window/indicator is harder to read or see but you will adjust to the slight difference very quickly. Is your SBP kit for a 2-stroke or 4-stroke?

ocscully

soccerrj88

Sep 30, 2009
Florida
Its the two stroke version. I figured if I switched the shifter it would be backwards and not work right but it may. I have to do some more tinkering with it but right now that chain loosening up constantly so I'm focusing on making a tensioner like the original kit came with.

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
The shifter will work just fine on the left side of the handlebars. It has the effect of reversing the direction. When the rear shifter is on the right when you twist toward you it moves to a lower gear and when you twist away from you it goes to a higher gear. When you move it to the left side this changes, twist toward you to get a higher gear and away from you to get to a lower gear.

I've never done a 2-stroke shift kit but I do currently have and use a 4-stroke version. If both left and right side chain are getting loose at the same time then the mount is twisting. If just the right side chain that is getting loose its either the chain streching or the mount is slipping down the seat tube. If you are using the height adjuster that comes with the kit its almost impossible for the mount to slip down the seat tube.

I don't this from first hand experience, but I've heard/read that a right side chain tensioner is problematic with the 2-stroke Shift Kit due the the pedal start? You might contact Jim at SBP to get his thoughts on adding a chain tensioner?

ocscully

HseLoMein

Oct 30, 2008
Boston, MA
Honestly i just have the shifter on the same side as the throttle, it does 2 things, forces you to let the engine throttle down for gear changes, so you dont put too much stress on the shifter mechanism., and it really makes it sound and behave like a standard vehicle. The best part is you hand never leaves the handle bars, and i have my brake lever set up so i have to take my hand off the throttle to actuate it, it def helps to keep you from gas and braking at the same time

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
If your shift kit has been recently installed, expect the chain to initially stretch a bit.
It will require some adjusting but yours sound like more than just a stretching chain.
When you look down the center-line of your bike is the engine( particularly the top of the cylinder head)
even on both sides of the top tube?
Is your bottom bracket tight?( Is there play in the pedal crank arm bearings?)
It sounds like something is loose and the motor is shifting.
Re-check all your mounting bolts.
I've had mine on for 6 or 7 hundred miles and finally got that chain to stay tight.
I'm sure Jim at SBP will help you if you give him a call.
I have a couple of times.
These guys are the best out there.

The best set up is with the rear derailler twist shifter on the left bar, with the clutch.
On the right bar get a dual pull brake lever for your brakes along with the throttle and kill switch.
The kit throttle and kill switch are plastic junk. When you break them get some decent ones from SBP.
Squeezing the brakes hard will eventually crack that plastic throttle housing.
That's my 2 cents worth..

Good luck and don't give up on it, the shift kit is the best thing you can do to make your bike FuN.

TIM