I get my new toy today

GoldenMotor.com

Hegemone

Apr 18, 2010
Roanoke, VA
Hello all. I am joining the forums because after toying with the idea for a while I found a new toy. I have attached a picture of it. Its brand new and only been ridden once. Its a demo that was given to a scooter dealer at a great price so they passed the deal along. I am excited because I have always loved motorized stuff but most of what I have owned I have never been able to maintain or fix because of how specialized the engineering was. I had a goped bigfoot and GSR 40 both of which were great fun to ride and I used them to get to and from work. The stares were always amusing. Now I live in a bigger town and a bigger kids toy seems more appropriate not to mention safer. I am sure I will have tons of questions once I get the Bicycle home and take it out for a few spins. I am going to have to read up on how to break the engine in. If anyone has experience with this bike let me know what you learned. I will fill you in on the details once I get the owners manual and successfully manage not to kill my self.

Attachments

longhair

Mar 24, 2009
eagle rock
Welcome Hegmone, True about the mirror- might wanna put it on the other side of bars. Ride that MB cruising at all speeds at moderate RPMs. Just ride it, see how She performs and then ask your questions on the forum..... Good Luck!

Hegemone

Apr 18, 2010
Roanoke, VA
Well, dont blame me for the mirror lol. This guy was fairly dishonest and this bike was far from a demo model. It was put together by a left handed flying monkey. The whole thing feels back wards. The rear brake is under the clutch which feels backwards to me. I want to be able to use the rear brake with one hand and the clutch with the other. Right now its throttle and front brake on the right and clutch and rear on the left. The mirror is a joke and the dude sold the light off it earlier in the winter. But I still like it. By not being perfect I got to spend some time going over it with a fine tooth comb and learning about it in general. I didnt even ride it the first day cause I was afraid of something running loose or simply put on wrong.

I am still figuring it out. The manual said to run it at 50:1 oil ratio and that seems really lean to me but I am no expert at all. Also the whole carb seems to be leaky and poorly tuned. I have caught gas dripping out of the air intake and cant believe that that should be happening. I am going to be poking around and posting in the other forums to figure out my next steps. Like should I just replace the oem carb with something a bit more finely made. Not to mention low end power is pretty terrible so even minor hills mean a lot of pedaling work for me lol. Anywho. Thanks for the welcome.

tascott

Jun 6, 2009
Virginia
just wondering where you got it from.... im near the roanoke area as well and bought a kit but am having trouble putting it on a bike... just looking for some help. Thanks!

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
DON"T RUN IT 50 to 1.
Run it at 20 to 1 or you'll probably seize the piston. 6.4 oz. (2 stroke oil) to 1 Gallon gas
It needs to be broken in first for several tanks of gas.
Do a search for breaking in the engine there are plenty I'm sure.
Some people do their break-in at 16 to 1 (8 oz. oil to 1 gallon of gas) but that's really oily and
fouls pugs pretty quickly and you'll have goo running out the exhaust in no time.
Good luck
TIM

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
If you've ever ridden like a newer chinese moped, the power here should be comparable on the lower end. Top speed should be around 25 or 30, depending on the distance of the straight away, gear ratio, and the amount of courage you've got. At 30mph those cruiser bikes will begin to shake and rattle and it will scare you the first few times you ride it (still scares me, and i've had mine for over a month).
--------------------------------
If you're concerned about the bike busting in half and killing you, here's what you can do. First of all, check your fenders (especially the front one) and make sure the mounts are kind of beefy. If you see them start to crack... not good. The motor vibrations plus the fact that your going 30mph over bumps and sewer drains on something without suspention can tear them apart, but you'll definitely want them for riding in wet weather.

Then work on the wheels themselves. Make sure the bearings are greased (especially if you hear a lot of squeaking or clicking coming from them). Usually if they aren't just obviously giving you a problem, they're fine. It also doesn't hurt to check if the wheel itself is balanced, but little tiny tweaks in it probably wont give you that much of a problem. One thing you don't want to find, though, is broken spokes.

Finally, check the chain itself. Is the crank on the wheel perfectly balanced? Is the chain straight, or kind of twisted? Does it have enough grease on it? And does it have good tension? You should be able to wiggle that chain about 1/2 or maybe 3/4 of an inch or so up or down. The upper and lower parts should not be able to contact each other.

Oh, and it doesn't hurt to make sure the motor mounts are secure & all those bolts are tight. I've actually had an instance where the front mount bolts came off completely and the motor swung to the left about 45 degrees.
------------------------------------------
As for the fuel, I always do 32:1 once it's broken in. Different people will recommend different things when breaking it in, but just do what makes you feel comfortable. You can also go to like a Honda/Yamaha type of powersports shop & get some synthetic performance 2-stroke oil, and I believe you can run that a bit leaner. But that stuff is like 10 or 15 dollars a quart.
Carb spit could be either a tuning problem or an air leak. You can actually purchase a nice Dellorto carburetor to replace it for around $75 or $100, just measure the intake (millimeters) & get one to match. Dellorto is the type of carburetor they make for most higher-end European mopeds like Puch and Tomos. Get one with an adjustment screw to fine tune it a lot easier. Even if it doesn't turn out to be your problem, you'll still be happy you got it if you plan on keeping the bike for very long.
A trip to Walmart will get you a mirror about 3 times the size of that one. But yea, mount it on the left side so you can see the traffic, not the passing mailboxes.