Painting Tires?

GoldenMotor.com

lolitsdaelan

Apr 23, 2010
Indianapolis
The bike that I'm currently working on has white walled tires. The white wall is a little dirty, and I'd like to freshen it up, as well as add a possible second color to it. I'd like to replicate the tires on the "Bare Bones" bike that Spooky Tooth sells. Is there a specific type of paint to use for tires? Anyone have any recommendations on the overall process?

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
you have to have a certain type paint, I cant recall right now, and turpentine to get it to set correctly to the rubber. Search for the other thread and you will find your answer, if I can find it I'll post a link for ya er somethin.

weird first message didn't get posted....I was also suggesting searching Bretts thread

Last edited:

ThatPerson

May 11, 2009
Southport, NC
If you want to clean the white walls of your tires, use a cleaning product called "Purple Power". You can get it at Dollar General or Auto Zone. I put it on my tires in concentrated form and before I started rubbing, I could see the dirt running off the tire.

Before;

After;

lolitsdaelan

Apr 23, 2010
Indianapolis
Oh wow, quite a difference! I'll have to decide what exactly what I want to do with them, and if I decide not to paint them this will definitely be the route I take.

ThatPerson

May 11, 2009
Southport, NC
Just a word of warning about the cleaner. It is VERY strong in concentrated form. You might want to use rubber gloves if you have sensitive hands, and don't forget to use this outside or in a well ventilated area. And also, if your rims are already painted, take the tire off and clean it. This stuff will try to take the paint off as well as the dirt.

SAVAGE

May 6, 2009
CHICAGO,ILLINOIS
The bike that I'm currently working on has white walled tires. The white wall is a little dirty, and I'd like to freshen it up, as well as add a possible second color to it. I'd like to replicate the tires on the "Bare Bones" bike that Spooky Tooth sells. Is there a specific type of paint to use for tires? Anyone have any recommendations on the overall process?
you might want to search up BRETT MAVERICK i remember he sold white wall tire paint. BTW PURPLE POWER ,SIMPLE GREEN, AND WHESTLEY'S BLEACH WHITE TIRE CLEANER all work great at cleaning the whitewalls on your MB I WOUD TRY THE WESTLEYS FIRST THOUGH ITS JUST AS GOOD AS THE PURPLE POWER just not as concentrated and try a smooth stone to rub the white wall or a medium coarse plastic brush to scrub em .

Last edited:

halfevil333

May 18, 2010
florida, USA
look for hot rod hite wall tire paint on e-bay- they have a few choices for few$
..& pre-treating w/turpentine really helps! i painted the tires on my '60 deville & works great, but took the last of a friends can &dont know the brand...?

...hope this hlps!

halfevil333

May 18, 2010
florida, USA
e-bay! -rat rod tire paint- I believe is the brand or @least the key-words!
used my friend left-overs on my '60 deville ...love the results -no flake, yellowing, or cracking!!
turpentine a must for pre-cleaning/bonding!!