Brand new, don't know a thing, hope to change that!

GoldenMotor.com

lolitsdaelan

Apr 23, 2010
Indianapolis
Hey everybody!

So I just recently picked up a bike at a garage sale, and the thought crossed my mind, "It would be AWESOME to rig a motor up to this!". A quick google search and here I am.

Now the problem is that I have a pretty solid electrical background, but I know NOTHING on the mechanical side of things. I've been browsing some of the kits and they do seem to provide enough instruction to at least get me going, and if thats not enough, I'm sure there is plenty of support on these forums =).

Anyway, a few quick questions I had for all you seasoned professionals on here, but before that, here's some pictures of my bike so that you have an idea of what I'm working with (in attachments).

Ok so the questions. I'm a little concerned with the fact that the bike has no shocks, now its not bad when im pedaling around, but i could see it being an issue when the bike is traveling 25+ MPH. Is that internal gear shift mechanism going to be a hindrance or even a deal breaker? Again with no mechanical knowledge, I would actually assume it to be a benefit, but I don't know for sure. The frame itself isn't an issue is it? I know they cant make universal kits, but I would assume they only require small mods to fit other frames. Anyone have experience with a frame like this? And finally, and I'm sure this is asked a ton, any recommendations on a kit? I've seen a lot of sales going on, I know Spooky Tooth has the Skyhawk for $149, Bikemotorkit.com has one for $119, and I saw one called a Flying Horse for about $140, marked down from $350. Any that sets these apart, or any that especially novice friendly?

Hopefully I will be up and rolling in no time!

Thanks guys!

Attachments

SleepyPanchoo

Mar 23, 2010
New York - US
im new to this stuff too and hopefully this summer i'll be able to afford the expenses for all this bike stuff :D. As far as I know a frame that has alot of spacing inbetween the top and bottom tube works best as the engine would be able to fit inside the frame. But you might be able to mount on your top tube and seat tube since its seem to have so much spacing from the seat anyway! I have a mountain bike that sort of like the frame you have but even worst because the top tube is in the middle of the seat tube, hence giving it not space for a "normal mount". Technically, any engine can be mounted, but for the special "rack-mount" type engines it'll cost like around $100-$200 more just for the mounting kit. For that much you could just get a new bike, but yours seems "possible". I also know that kits more friendly w/ 36 spokes wheels for the sprocket mount but that is about it. You'd need someone with experience to reply though, as i never mounted a engine, i can't wait to though. I have a Schwinn voyager that I'm ready to rebuild and mount a engine on.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The three speed will require a lot of grinding of the sprocket to get it to go over the hub.
That being a girls bike will make for an easy (but high) mounting of the engine, you'll have to figure something out for the gas tank mount.

A bike like that is best suited for a rear engine rack mount.

If you do go with the 'in frame' type of engine (the kind you were looking into) buy from a reputible company with good prices. Look to the sides of this page for suggestions.
I wouldn't shell out a bunch of money for an expensive version though, since you are mostly paying extra for hype and that's all.