Ask a specific question

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
How come the slack in my chain has to be adjucted every time i ride the bike. The amount of slack increases at least a half inch sometimes much more.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Deacon, mine was doing that. The adjuster was shouldering out against the bracket and wouldn't let it get tight. A washer to take up the slack did the trick. Maybe Norm will take a picture...................

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have mine on a cruiser type wheel so it had the horizontal dropout I dont use the tensioner on it. I guess it is pulling the wheel forward. I put a lock washer on the nut even thought it didn't seem to be getting loose. The nut that is.

Now you have me wondering if I have one too many spacers in the rear wheel. I might give that a try when I ride next.

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Deacon
your going to have to make a axle holding device like is on a motorcycle sound like your yanking the chain and it in turn pulls the axle loose maybe I can draw you what it looks like on a motorcycle and you will have to modify it to fit your needs picture coming I got to get the etch a skech. this down and dirty

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
you understand then. goood use one on each side. it will work better.
new web site norms-iron-works.tripod.com my buddy is doing all the work and I'm watching.
We got a short video of my lights on my bicycle

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I just test fitted the coaster wheel to the rear of the oversized mtb. The chain from the coaster bikes does seem to fit fine on the sprocket from the mtb. I am waiting for a tube to assemble and test ride it, but it does seem to fit fine. It's gonna need some frame bending or spacers on the rear wheel. Since I'm going to go electro, I think, I'm going to go spacers on the rear axle to take up the space.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
"New Question"

I know a few of you guys have replaced your mount studs with bolts. So what is the size of the bolt length, girth, and threads if any. I'm thinking I might move my engine to one of the bigger bikes. If I do I will most likely have to go with the muffler clamp adapter.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I had one that the chain kept coming loose....it went on a 50 mile trip, tightening the chain about 10 times, until I realized the fram was cracked and one tube was slowly moving. It only had to move a fraction of an inch for the chain to loosen a half inch at a time.

Check your frame.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
You know what, that schwinn is a very, very light weight frame, I wonder if it is flexing, If it were moving when the engine engages the rear wheel, could it cause it to loosen. I tried to be more careful with the clutch today, but in my drive I still have to drop it to start because the distance is so short. I can ease it if i have more room to pedal. I think that might help as well.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
when I stopping in the funiture store parking lot yesterday after about half a mile I must have had two inches. after that I was much more clutch careful and hardly had any. It's like you said the chain was pulling the wheel I just have to work out a wheel stop for it.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
NEW QUESTION

So if my clutch cable were to break (it did yesterday) why can't i stop at the local hardware store and buy a lawn mower throttle cable. Yes i know it is solid wire not the cute lil ole braided wire one. But it should work for that use I would think.

It would sure be easier to find.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
First know that the clutch cable is just a bicycle brake cable and can be purchased at WalMart/KMart/bike shop.

If you want to fit up a solid clutch control rod or "cable" then more power to ya'!

Post photos.:D

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I bought two of the bike cables yesterday and yeah I have them on hand for the next time. I was thinking more of an emergency repair kind of thing.

Small towns don't have bike shops, or wallymarts, but they might have a general store or lawnmower shop complete with those kinds of cables. I was more curious about what the solid cable would be like. I know on my mowers they are a bit stiffer but it should work. At least it would appear so.

Might have to rig how it attaches to the lever. then again maybe not so much. Bend the solid cable around a small washer and fit it in the hole where the cable end goes and it should work. At least it would seem so.

Ps I have heard wallymart has those cables but mine only has the brake kit not the cables alone. I have a good bike shop which isn't too expensive so I can get mine.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
That sounds logical since the woven is more flexible and the run is not straight. It gets more movement than the lawnmower throttle would.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Deacon
Would a post on how make a cable end help as I know how to make almost any cable end
some can be real easy to make and it will work until you wear it out.
I posted a quick reader digest version on here