overwhelmed in michigan

GoldenMotor.com

barrynof

Feb 16, 2009
Farmington Hills
i am lost. i thought that i would look into putting a motor on my schwinn frontier and i feel overwhelmed by the choices. i live nw of detroit, in the suburbs. i travel about 4-5 miles to work. i am looking for a good quality motor for my bike. i am fairly handy with tools, so if the motor is easily installed that would be good, too.

stude13

May 28, 2008
north bend wa.
yes its easy to be challenged with choices. check out motormakers-briggs style bikes-they can be built with briggs style engines and also the much lighter engines found on go ped type scooters. 33-49cc, they are cheap on c/l. i put one on an occ chopper with one bolt a throttle and it was running in about 30min. unless you want to tinker and do almost constant serviceing, i would look at options other than an ht. most times you get what you pay for, either in time or money. good luck

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
What are you overwhelmed by? If you are looking into a frame mount engine kit, they are all the same despite the hype the sellers use, just buy one, preferably the cheapest.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
rRead all there is on this forum about the choices before you decide on the type engine you want.

Then if you decide on a China two stroke kit, Joe just gave you the best advice. All the hype is just that hype as far as I'm concerned. They will have have problems the first couple of days. then it will even out. After that do your maintenance and save up for a second motor bike.

Most people with cars have spare tires,. You will want a spare bike. It won't cost much more than a good spare tire for a car.

oldcliff

Feb 9, 2009
Wilmington Ohio
Welcome to the forum Barry. Just hang in and read the posts. After a while you can select the engine/bike that appeals to you. If you have any questions just ask.

Oldcliff

BudFreed

Feb 22, 2010
Clarkston, MI
Hi, I am new to this I just built my first gas bike and I am having some issues and I am looking for someone in my area to help. I am in Oakland co. Michigan, I see you are in Michigan what part of the state are you?

BudFreed

Feb 22, 2010
Clarkston, MI
Cool that is only about 30 min from me. I would be willing to drive down your way if you would have some time to help me. I am assumeing you have built your own bike and have some experence with these. What do you think?

barrynof

Feb 16, 2009
Farmington Hills
Cool that is only about 30 min from me. I would be willing to drive down your way if you would have some time to help me. I am assumeing you have built your own bike and have some experence with these. What do you think?
I am sorry, but I haven't done a thing about my bike. Not long after my first post, my son was born and I was dreaming when I thought I was going to have time to work on my bike. I am putting off those plans for a while. My son is 21 months old now and I figure this summer or next and I can get back to my plans. Actually, it was thinking about him that sort of made me rethink and rethink. I am concerned about buying a motor that has a tailpipe, because I do a lot of hauling him around in a bike trailer. So, I was thinking about using an electric hub motor, but those are so darned expensive compared to the others and I am not too sure about the longevity of the battery. I think what I am going to do is buy an inexpensive, good quality second bike and put a motor on that one. What is it that you are looking to do?

BudFreed

Feb 22, 2010
Clarkston, MI
My kids are all grown up now so the only safety concern I have is my own. I just built my first gas bike and am having some issues with it and I was looking for someone in the area who has some experience with them. I think I have found a guy who can help me.
I would encourage you to go for the gas bike. I have raised three boys and I can tell you he will love it. Life is never 100% safe but you can have a lot of fun with your son on that bike. Have a great day.
Bud