New Engine, Clutch Problem?

GoldenMotor.com

VaporKing

May 15, 2008
Hi there.

I Just purchased a new Chinese engine (without kit), and when I took it from the box, the clutch arm is just loose, and does not spring-back, or appear to disengage the engine. It came without a manual, and the tech person in the company that I bought it from is on vacation for about another week. I cannot diassemble the motor in fear of voiding my warantee.

Does anyone know why the clutch arm is not "springy"? If I push any harder when resitance is met, the arm will surely break.

Is this a common problem? Any ideas?

My original engine has lost compression, and am in the process of rebuilding it. I'm a little disappointed, because I only got about 80 miles on it before it fried (20:1 mix). I haven't dismounted it yet from the preassembled bike that I purchased, so I haven't compared its arm action to the new engine's action.

Your motorized biking comrade,

VaporKing

BTW: I'm getting a Harley next year. Just learning with this bike. Isn't this stuff fun?

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
I really doubt there is anything wrong with it. Swing the arm in a counter clockwise direction until is stops. Is the arm now pointing to the rear of the engine? If it is so far so good. If it is not pointing to the rear of the engine we may have to investigate further. Lets assume it is pointing toward the rear of the motor. Try continuing to push it counter clockwise. Most people think it is stuck but it isn't. It is just very hard to push in by hand. Try taking a 10mm closed end wrench and put it over the lever. Use the wrench as an extension to the clutch arm. Now you should be able to move it.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Ghost is absolutely right. There is no spring in it the clutch push rod and the cable are what holds it in place without the cable attached it can just swing freely.

VaporKing

May 15, 2008
Thanks for your help.

I swung the arm back counterclockwise until it met resistance. It pointed backwards. I then put my weight into the arm, knowing that the spring for the clutch is heavy-duty (from the complete tear-down pictures). To my surprise, the arm did not break, and I could feel the spring compress.

However, while the spring was compressed, the sproket still could not be moved by hand. It feels like it is either dragging on something, or it is caught. Considering that this is a brand-spanking-new engine, I'm betting that the disengaged drag is still going to be greater than what I should be able to comfortably move with my fingers. I kown that there is a considerable amount of drag to pedal-through while the clutch is disengaged on my original "fried" engine. From now on, my backpack is going to contain any tools expected for a road reapir, including those to remove the chain.

Your instructions really helped me to figure-out that this engine is probably going to work as expected. Thanks for your help!

By the way, is there a DAX manual available, or does one come with the original kit? Does the full-blown kit contain detailed instructions on how to do everything, or are we supposed to guess our way through all of it?

Sincerely,

VaporKing
FHO (Future Harley Owner)

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Best to just read here or ask questions as things come up. I have never seen a good set of instructions for the engine. Everything is covered on the information on this site.

The clutch is a mother to engage. You really have to lever it so don't worry when you get it mounted most likely it will work. Most likely you didnt get it all the way released.