Offroad bikes, there seems to be a lack

GoldenMotor.com

pedro5189

Jan 21, 2008
England
Hello,

I am in the early stages of my offroad build but was just wondering what other people have created for offroad use?

I have seen the easyrider/pipelyne creation and his other gt

I have also seen another members gt along with videos that uses the SBP shift kit

What have the rest of you created? doesn't need to be suspension as mine isn't going to be

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Well, mountain bike builds are not uncommon - yet it seems not that many trail ride... I could be wrong lol

If you've seen the SCSW BoXer: YouTube - Santa Cruz Scooter Works BoXer II forum thread here: http://motorbicycling.com/f23/new-full-suspension-scsw-boxer-7689.html then you've prolly seen the best ;)

My bike isn't anywhere near as awesome, nor do I have a rear suspension or even a jackshaft - but I offroad it all the time. The exhaust is in danger from rock strikes where it's mounted and I need to help it through the knarliest stuff by pedaling a bit (need the jackshaft lol).

Sadly I don't usually bring my camera with me when I hit the tough stuff, but here is a few pics from my "shortcut" home from work (the one that adds 20min to a 10min commute :D) - thus the cargo on the back.

What bike are you planning on using? What are the trails like where you're at? Lookin' forward to pics :)

Attachments

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
True that man! I'm usually exhausted after beatin' up myself and my bike, the trails around here are rough - those pics above are just the mellow path I take to get out some work stress ;)

Gears arn't a prob tho - I'll be gettin' this sooner or later lol;
Sick Bike Parts

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Barely nice bike and setup, with my friction drive I putt around some dirt trails and its fun. No motocross mind you but just nice easy trails, hills arent a problem unless its just too steep and if its WET forget it friction is useless in the mud.

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
True that man! I'm usually exhausted after beatin' up myself and my bike, the trails around here are rough - those pics above are just the mellow path I take to get out some work stress ;)

Gears arn't a prob tho - I'll be gettin' this sooner or later lol;
Sick Bike Parts
First time I saw that its been almost my number one goal to get me a setup like that. I don't care if it cost more then my bike and motor, as soon as I have the money.....wee.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Thanks bandito! Yeah, I like puttin' trails - like it a lot actually, but almost all the stuff around here I gotta fly to get through as I don't have the gearing to crawl.

Or I pedal... It's all rocks and roots, muck and water. Brine swamp doom or granite - your pick.

Outa post a pic of yer bike ona trail here! I wanna see it and the stuff ya ride and it might get a few others goin' lol ;)

pedro5189

Jan 21, 2008
England
What bike are you planning on using? What are the trails like where you're at? Lookin' forward to pics :)
At the moment the bike im going to use is in bits, as most of this is my old parts (BMX, downhill, dirt jump) with the addition of some new. My mate gave me a 14" steel dirt jump frame thats made for 24" wheels which helps with the gearing as it happens as I am using a pocket bike engine ( cagllari ) with a reduction gearbox which I plan on frame mounting. I've worked out the gearing to do a maximum speed of around 38mph. The frame chainstays I've had to modified buy opening it up to 135mm (mountain bike size) from the original 110mm BMX size so that I can use the disc mount for the rear sprocket. Other than the lack of a front wheel, tyres/tubes, pedals, seat/seatpost, fuel tank and exhaust I have all of the parts.

Around here there is a huge selection of trails from national downhill tracks to miles of single track, commercial bike parks groomed dirt jumps all within 2 hours by car. In my immediate vacinity though ther is very good single track and my mate has a coulpe motocross tracks and dirt tracks at his farm, so I'm spoilt for choice really.

pedro5189

Jan 21, 2008
England
That is a great looking bike you have there barelyawake, I love the utilitarian do everything look it has going on.

It is also nice to see there is acturally a few true offroaders out there. :)

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
Offroading... the usual problem with this is that the chain hits the chain stays on the frame. I see there are 2 ways of resolving this, design a frame that the chain would not hit the chain stays, or use an internal gear hub, so a derailer is not required. what do you think?

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Pedro - sounds like you gota heck of a build in the works, can't wait to see yer creation! It's true that if I was willing to load up my bike for a 2hr car trip (or ride my bike for 4 lol) there's actually quite the selection of trails here too, inland Maine has some great stuff. I envy the farm tracks you have "locally" - we grow only rocks here o_O

Thanks for the complement lol - much of the utilitarian look is prolly the bags & gear on the back, the lil cargo box is one of the the puters I use for work. As it's value exceeds that of my bike I don't usually hit the trails w/it cept that mellow path. I'm resisting gettin' tow hooks and a winch - but I do hava a snorkel lol

Technocyclist - interesting you should mention the chainstays, while I don't have a prob with the pedal drive side I do have an issue with the engine drive chain not clearing unless I reroute it further back with the tensioner. I suspect my pedal side simply has beefy rear derailleur springs... maybe it IS hitting I dunno, but I've never heard it or seen any chafe, which would show clearly on an aluminum frame like mine.

I'd say simply having a frame where the chainstays aren't an issue. While many have used the internal gear hubs with great success onroad - I dunno if it'd take the pounding offroad. There is also the need for as many low gears as reasonably possible, I'm particularly lookin' forward to my "granny gears" when I do manage to get a jack shaft.

As I see it, the biggest prob with the derailleur is smackin' it upside a rock. I've somehow managed to avoid that for now but it is inevitable. Luckily - I have a few spares :D

Technocyclist

Jul 7, 2008
Asia
I'd say simply having a frame where the chainstays aren't an issue. While many have used the internal gear hubs with great success onroad - I dunno if it'd take the pounding offroad. There is also the need for as many low gears as reasonably possible, I'm particularly lookin' forward to my "granny gears" when I do manage to get a jack shaft.

As I see it, the biggest prob with the derailleur is smackin' it upside a rock. I've somehow managed to avoid that for now but it is inevitable. Luckily - I have a few spares :D
There is one internal gear hub meant for offroad, the Shimano Alfine, it has a triple clutch, unlike any other internal gear hubs. The SRAM i-motion has a version of this, but I think it still meant for on road use.

TorqinDirty

Oct 14, 2009
australia
hey man thats some seriously nice setup you have i love the exhaust and air filter it looks like the only think that will die is the engine and there cheap for the amount off fun you get out of them!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Thanks TorqinDirty :D

The expansion chamber exhaust is from Sick Bike Parts and it's ossum!;
Sick Bike Parts

The remote airbox is my own creation of desperation, simple & cheap;
http://motorbicycling.com/f4/remote-airbox-intake-silencing-cheap-10967.html

Actually - the engine is doin' really well, I've been impressed - but yeah yer right, it's easy nuff to rebuild/replace should I ever need to ;) I've actually had it up to the head in water while it was runnin' (missed a turn oops) and although both the exhaust and carburetor were under I just kept revvin' it till I got out. I woulda swamped it had I let it stall and/or I had the stock air filter on it.

The mag did take in some water - it wouldn't have lasted long, but I had just "nosed in" so I got out quick. I prolly outa make a better mag cover gasket :p

*shrug* Got home, hosed the muck offn it and dried/regreased everything - no probs with it since :D My wheelset is wimpy, they're not even double walled - another thing on my infinite shopping list...

Last edited:

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
i have to admit man, once i got a gander at your bike i set off far away from beach cruiser land.

picked up a 21 speed MTB on sunday, it should be finished today. Stock kit or now.... id wait another few weeks for other goodies but. its getting a little nippy to be pedalling my norco to work in a headwind every day.

ill surely put a pic in here (i have a pretty sweet looking fron half fender/shroud i picked up when i got the bike)

hopefully i wont have any real disasterous problems when i go to route the drive side chain this afternoon!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Don't blame me Humsuckler lol - you've got mud in yer blood if ya like the looks of my bike!

I will say that the beachers one up the mountain bikes on distance comfort and just plain style, but there's somethin' about a machine built strictly for purpose - a style of function can have it's own grace.

I will admit I'm gonna paint it this winter as I don't like 'Schwinn' painted/pasted/stitched on every square inch... o_O I'm such a fashion slave.

I gotta whole slew o'questions for ya - what bike, aluminum/steel, what engine, plans etc. - but I suppose I'd better wait fer your pics lol

Technocyclist

Jul 7, 2008
Asia
Links or it didn't happen! :D

Shimano Alfine - Google Product Search

300 bucks??!? O.O

It is very shiny tho... *drools*
Hi BA,

Here's a link that compares SRam I-motion 9 with Shimano Alfine...
SRAM / i-MOTION 9 Hubstripping.com

For the price, I think it's quite reasonable compared with Nuvinci which is very heavy, and the Rohloff which is 4 times the price.

In case you're wondering, I just got the Shimano Alfine and have been using it for about a month or so. It's quite tricky installing it, even with the instruction manual. But so far, no issues. You do need to have low friction gear cables to prevent psossible damage to the hub, which was my mistake when I was still using a Sturmey Archer hub. I think it would be more expensive to have it repaired, so I just replaced it with a Shimano Alfine. Let's see how it goes...

pedro5189

Jan 21, 2008
England
My aspiration is to go singlespeed, light enough to tackle the tough hills, once pedalled out i hope the engine would shine through. Internally geared hubs are just out of the question in terms of budget for me. I like the purity of a singlespeed, no drivetrain loss and no flex is the goal, for all i have my xc bike and downhill bike to change gears with, haha.