Frame jig

GoldenMotor.com

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
I've seen a lot of people building frames against a piece of plywood or even OSB and I was wondering if the jig I plan on building will have any advantages/disadvantages to the board jig.

Working in apartment maintenance I've amassed a pretty sizable collection of bed frame angle iron, I can never let a piece stay in the dumpster because it's so darned handy and free angle iron is great.

I plan on laying down two lengths parallel then bolting them to some 3/4 fiberboard and making fixtures for the rear dropout, crank tube and building a triangulated head tube brace out of a fork. Basically the fixtures will bolt to the frame and be able to slide along the angle iron rails and clamp into place so once I cut the frame in two I can just slide the halves apart to my final length then lock everything down to weld in the new tubing.

The main advantage I can see is I will be able to weld both sides of the frame without removing the frame from the jig.

foureasy

Jul 9, 2009
tucson
you can make a jig out of just about anything, but it needs to be stronger than the frame you are building. i have yet to build a jig for a bicycle frame, but i have built a few harley frames on this boat anchor. the way i figure it, if you can build the jig, you can build the frame.

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
nice shop! I would love to have one like that! I dig the really heavy table you got there, that what I call a fabrication table! and also nice work!

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Holy crow! That is a very nice shop you got there!
I too wish my welds looked like a stack of dimes.
Mine are high quality booger welds, but so far they have never failed.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Used to frequent a 4x4 forum and one of the member's screen name was "Boogerwelds" rotfl