Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle Mechanical Components > Wheels, Brakes and Suspension

Wheels, Brakes and Suspension All about suspensions, rims, tires and disk, drum and caliper brakes

Old 02-16-2017, 08:08 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: creme tires ?

very interesting how the tech just keeps zipping along in leaps and bounds.
sounds to me like your an ol fart with head full of knowledge like me. a good portion of it is now outdated and can't be used anywhere. what bothered me several yrs ago is when my Boss passed he took all that knowledge with him. i have a brother in law that worked for goodyr here in MA, then when it closed he went to the plant in VA until he retired. he just schooled me on tire color too.

several ys ago i took a tour of Edison's place at Ft Myers. there were pieces of rubber there from his time that still looked great and bounced well too ! him and Ford worked together on rubber projects. i'm pretty sure the rubber i saw there was black.

Last edited by Kartooo; 02-16-2017 at 08:46 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:06 AM

I think the carbon black also added some UV protection as natural rubber is highly susceptible to sunlight.

Early in the 1900ís is was also possible to get tires in a alternative ruddy primer red color (as still seen in some rubber hoses). I think the black proved to be more durable and road worthy eventually became more popular.

Through my own observations Iíve noticed a lot of early tires in England and Europe are actually a distinct light gray color instead of the familiar creme seen in North America.

Iíve wondered if that was a regional additive or perhaps a color variation of the natural rubberís source of origin?

First build video- http://alturl.com/9xptf. And Imgur album- http://imgur.com/a/WJjRl#0
Old 02-20-2017, 11:30 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Let's not forget that white tires would almost always look dirty.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:13 PM

Zinc or Titanium Oxide (used to make white tires) are both good UV blocking agents. Ozone is more of a problem than UV. Modern tires use a neoprene covering on the sidewalls to protect against ozone cracking. Carbon Black gave the most wear resistance until silica came around.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbest View Post
Zinc or Titanium Oxide (used to make white tires) are both good UV blocking agents. Ozone is more of a problem than UV. Modern tires use a neoprene covering on the sidewalls to protect against ozone cracking. Carbon Black gave the most wear resistance until silica came around.
Never thought Id learn anything new about rubber on this forum. If you think about it its a very important topic that is seldom brought up. Our life's all depend on the strength and durability of rubber nearly everyday when we hop on a MB, motorcycle or in the car. What are your thoughts sbest on recommended bike tires, pressure, brands, types, tube types, tubeless? Sorry for such a giant open question/ maybe should be a new sticky thread.
zip-
Old 02-21-2017, 07:13 AM

I'm sorry, I was an expert on the machinery needed to construct truck, earthmover and military tires. I don't know much about bicycle tires.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbest View Post
I'm sorry, I was an expert on the machinery needed to construct truck, earthmover and military tires. I don't know much about bicycle tires.
ever work on the goer tires ? i saw and drove my 1st one around 1975 in Germany. it used the tires for suspension, they were huge, my guess 7ft tall !! the cab could pivot in place independent of the trailer section. they bounced like crazy and the later ones had a suspension fittet to the driver's seat.
i found an early prototype https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPEW99d16vE
later version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkxS1tTeSMg

Last edited by Kartooo; 02-21-2017 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:45 AM

Yes, I would have worked on exactly that type of tire, and many others like it. LAV/Stryker fighting vehicle tires, subway tires, payloader tires 18 wheeler tires and even the double wide truck tires. I don't know anything about the truck, but I've seen those tires get built. Most of these tires are hand built to a degree, although we automated the process more and more each year. It was a very interesting job, and a great employer. Although retired now, I still service this factory with technical expertise.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:15 AM

tires make the world go round !!
ahhhh the good ol days. a similar but scaled down version was the gama goat. i drove that one around in WA state. 6 wheel drive, bouncy thing using the tires for suspension. the cab pivoted too. had a small 2 stroke diesel for power. no low end at all, you had to rev it waaaaay up for just a little HP. i think it was around 100HP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4kMA3L801k