how do you make a water bottle gas tank

GoldenMotor.com

unior

Jun 18, 2009
Lancaster, PA
I used the smallest drill bit i had and drilled a hole at the top rear of the bottle. The vent hole sucks cause it leaks all over when you refill it. Plus my range was rather limited. It got me to work though.

RPM

Jun 7, 2009
Michigan
In regards to soldering your gas tank, I've soldered two motorcycle gas tanks and I can tell you what worked for me.

First I emptied all the gasoline out of the tank then took it off the bike and let it sit upside down the rest of the day in the sun.

Then I took one end of my shop vac and and slid it over the tail pipe of my car and put the other end in the gas tank of the motorcycle.

I turned my car on and let it run for fifteen to twenty minutes with the exhaust venting out the petcock. It worked great! All the gas fumes were displaced with exhaust fumes.

If I had any doubts about gas fumes (which I did) all I had to do (which I did) was stick my nose in the gas tank after pulling the vac hose out to see if I could smell any gas. All I could smell was exhaust fumes and nothing else.

Where I got the idea from was the boys at the triumph shop back in the 80's. I tried several stop leaks products to no avail until I finally took them up on their recommendation.

I agree with what everyone else has stated here about gas fumes, VERY DANGEROUS!

NEVER USE FIRE OR A TORCH AROUND GAS OR GAS FUMES!

RPM

RPM

RPM

Jun 7, 2009
Michigan
Opps!

I left an important word out here. 'hose' which will clarify the explanation.

The line should read:

Then I took one end of my shop vac HOSE and slid it over the tail pipe of my car and put the other end in the gas tank of the motorcycle.

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
that's how diesel tanks are welded on big rigs.. they use the truck exhaust in the tank.. does work good... with a liquid to cut the fumes, you can still have an air gap that could flash on you.. but with the exhaust gas, all air is replaced

RPM

Jun 7, 2009
Michigan
I'm so confident in this procedure of soldering a leaky motorcycle gas tank Matt I have no quirms what so ever about it. I'm speaking for me of course because I'm very meticulous when it comes to gas and fire.

I have no experience with any other type of gas tanks, large or small just the motorcycle tanks I've done. I wouldn't think twice about soldering one of these small tanks that come with the 49cc or 68.5cc kits. Piece of Cake!

Do know if Mopedman ever got it repaired?

RPM

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
I'm so confident in this procedure of soldering a leaky motorcycle gas tank Matt I have no quirms what so ever about it. I'm speaking for me of course because I'm very meticulous when it comes to gas and fire.

I have no experience with any other type of gas tanks, large or small just the motorcycle tanks I've done. I wouldn't think twice about soldering one of these small tanks that come with the 49cc or 68.5cc kits. Piece of Cake!

Do know if Mopedman ever got it repaired?

RPM
no doubt... the exhaust gas method is practiced all the time.. usually, it's left flowing into the tank during welding, but such a small tank, would hold the exhaust gasses for a while.. If I were to try it, it would be using that method... I know a guy who got hurt pretty bad when a 13 gallon tank went off in front of him.. filled 1/2 with water.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Here ya go. This requres one dasani 1 litre water bottle or equivalent with a sturdy cap, A drill bit roughly the same size as your stock chinese fuel filter, and a few zip ties. Drill a hole in the cap, screw the filter/valve assembly in the cap with gasket, zip tie to frame. My water bottle got me to work for 3 weeks while I waited for a new tank.
Was thunking about your bottle tank 2day Unior. Be a great thing to have in a tool kit. Just a self tapping "T" With a small piece of fuel line going up to vent and the other arm (pointed down) would work great even if only in a pinch. Thanks!

RPM

Jun 7, 2009
Michigan
I had a science instructor back when I was a freshman in high school Matt and he told the class of an experiment he did by pulling a rope across an open gas can with a rag attached that was on fire. He said he wanted to see if the fumes were explosive. He said he took cover behind a trailer just in case it blew up. He told us that the fumes wouldn't ignite and that its not flammable.

I didn't believe him period! Sometimes its flammable and sometimes its not. But I treat it like it always is.

Like I said my only experience comes from what I've done and have much faith in that technique. As long as I'm the one "DEODORIZING" the bike tank I'll solder it.

A truck tank or diesel tank, no, I don't have any experience with those.

Years ago my girlfriends sisters husband, his brother took a job offer from him to work at a tanker shop in the mid west cleaning tankers. His job was to open the hatch of the tankers and go inside and swab them out. One night just the two brothers were working late at the shop and the younger who was inexperienced, was over by a tanker having problems opening the hatch when the other one just happen to turn around and saw him flick the flint to light the torch and yelled NO! One was blown through the wall and the one who flicked the flint to lite the torch was blown through the roof.

I remember it made the national news that night. In an attempt to save his brothers life the doctors as a last ditch effort, because he was so severly burned and the swelling so intense they slit the back of his legs from his heels to his buttox then the backs of his arms and his back.

It didn't help save his life, he died of Cardiac arrest from the swelling. He was only eighteen.

My advice to anyone who would attemp to weld, braze or solder, know what you are doing before you start or you could pay with your life. If you know nothing about it, don't attempt it. Gas and fumes are extremely flammable as we all know regardless of what the 'so called experts' tell you.

RPM