1st Bike, No Go.

GoldenMotor.com

Deispring

Apr 20, 2009
California
I just got the bike 2 days ago, USED, and the motor was not attached. I could complain, but it was a Schwinn Jaguar Cruiser, and the bike, Front and rear lights with tire-friction generator, and the 70cc Motor kit, all tallied at $150 Even.

HOWEVER, I got no instruction manual, so it took me about 5 hours to get it all put together, and when I finally did???...... Nada.

Now, Mind you I'm not big into mechanics, I'm a computer tech to be sure, but Motors and such, I'm a bit clueless. But here's what I do know. The clutch is definitely engaging because i can feel a significant difference between peddling with the clutch engaged (which I can do) and peddling with it disengaged (which brings me to a stop pretty Darn quick). What I have not heard from the bike thus far is any "put put" sounds of the engine even TRYING to turn over, which leads me to believe that there is no spark coming along the electric highway of this bike. I am about 90% sure there is good gas flow because after trying 4 or 5 times to get it started I pulled it back inside to take a look around, and when I pulled out the spark plug i could definitely smell gas.

I looked around the forums and the one thing it seems it could be is the CDI (since the kill switch isn't even hooked up yet, as it's one of the things I couldn't figure out how to hook up :p). So I pulled out my little Multimeter and checked the CDI and found the following.

- to black, + to Plug = 1384. Oddly, the reverse gave me 1386, but I figure that's negligible.
But ALL connections leading to the Blue gave me no reading at all. I even clipped a tiny cut into the insulation to go further down the line of the blue wire and the only response I could get was blue to blue, ie from the cut to the end, but nothing else.

Just to try it, I also checked the Mag lines, and all of them came out within 2% of posted suggested results, so I figure it's gotta be the CDI, but again, I can barely use the Multimeter, so I could be doing something wrong there (though when I get the bad result from the blue to plug, I can pull the Black to the blue, and then i get a reading, but only until I let go of the black).

So all in all, I'm kinda sure it's the CDI, but is there any way to be sure? is there a way to bypass it to see if i can get any spark at all?

Lastly, is the CDI common to most scooter stores, or do I have to order online and wait another week to find out if this is the problem or not?

Plez Help, Thanks!

Deispring.

"Truth = Facts - (X*Y)" where X ≥ everything we don't know, and Y ≥ what we do know, even though we're wrong.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Sounds like the CDI- Call a seller and have one shipped. Most will get to you in a couple of days.

In the mean time, double check all electrical connections, including the ones behind the left side cover where the magneto resides.

Deispring

Apr 20, 2009
California
Well, I had too many problems with the old motor, so I bought a New one, and it's working well enough, though it will work much nicer once I get a few upgrades on it. The Motor is a 80cc Grubee, but all the extras are leftovers from my previous motor. This friday I should be able to get some of those upgrades, and then we'll be rockin solid. :p