Computer Wizard needed...

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Well I have dsl and a old solid cable type router. Now my wife is about to retire and she wants a laptop with wireless connection. So I know I need a wireless router and a wireless adapter I guess.

So does the wireless router just replace my cable router, and does the wireless adapter just replace the cable I use now.

Now if that is so, how about if we both use wireless adapters in two different computers... will there be a problem or do they have to be set up differently. I have no idea about wireless. And best of all if My neighbor has a wireless router can I piggy back on his dsl rofl....

I am guessing that the wiring would be wireless router cabled into the dsl modem then the wireless adapters for the computers. Is that about right. If you can help out here I sure would appreciate it.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Your wireless router will plug into your modem. Most laptops nowdays have built in wifi. If not you'lll need a wifi card.My router works wireless and wired both. So probably all you would need would be a wireless router and laptop. The laptop should work and you can plug you computer in just like it is now. Your mileage may vary...............................

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Bikea's right Deacon.

Is your wife going to buy a new laptop ? Or a used one with XP on it ? Soon the new
laptops will have the new Windows 7 operating system on them as Vista is fading fast.

The newer laptops will have the WIFI built in with the 805.11N and the WIFI/Routers
that work the "N" are out now. Older laptops use those PCMCIA(805.11 B & G) cards for the WIFI
and some use can use a USB 2 plugin WIFI adaptor(if they have USB 2) that serve as an antenna for the WIFI signal.

Just depends on which way you go, new or used. There are loads of deals out there. You
may want to check out:

Computer Hardware, Memory, Storage, Barebones, Notebooks : surpluscomputers.com

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
Vancouver Island BC .Canada
Deacon
"Can I just piggy back off of his" As long as he did NOT encript his with a pass word (and most don't)no problem. The odds are you will have a choice of people in the hood to piggie off of...POPS

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
You don't need a Computer Wizard, you need a Network Wizard, big difference. You like forums so here is one Wireless Networking forum - dslreports.com broadband community that can assist if you need it. There are others.

I know a little bit about home networks, feel free to ask question. Yes, you need some sort of wireless access point or router/AP combination. Linksys, DLink, Buffalo, Netgear are a few brands The newest stuff is "N"

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I buy mostly refurb stuff. I have a dell refurb I bought from their auction site. I think I will buy her laptop there as well. I can get a netgear setup from tiger direct and I have bought a lot from them.

You are right about the net wizard. I have done a lot with computers but almost nothing with networks. Even though I have a hard wire network in my house that I installed, Mama wants wireless so wireless it is.

I am going to just leave mine on cables for now. After I get hers and find out if there are sufficient piggy back opportunities in the hood I might just get an adapter for my desk top and dump the ole dsl. I know that is terribly sneaky but hey im old and poor... lol

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Deacon,

DONT even think about hijacking service, You might have someone like me for a neighbor. That would make your nifty new network notwork.

I got the laptop I am using right now at a pawnshop, smoking deal.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Are you kidding in my neighborhood most of us can barely read. Actually I m thinking my next door neighbor and I are friends. I might just make a deal to split the cost of the service. Get our own little internet cafe going here.

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Deacon,

Most people who have a wireless/hardwire router will place a "password" on their WIFI.
(that is if they are smart)

Should you and the nextdoor neighbor work a deal and you're fairly close it might be
preferable to get him to let you bring some Cat5e cable over to your place to tie into your
hard wire network too. If you are close and she has the 805:11g it gets pretty good range.
(you'll see bars like on a cell to indicate the strength of the WIFI connection...usually they
light up in green)

But if you order things on line with a credit card you will be better served doing it on a hard
wired private network or calling 1 800.

As far as having a credit card to buy things online, I keep one with a $500 limit just for online
purchases. (they can tell you what they will about their covering it with their insurance and everything.....but if you have a $500 limit and someone tries to buy something that cost $1200
they know they have a thief on the hook right then)

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
I got a strong wireless router and it's funny when the neighbors try to patch in I'm not password protected because of this.
When the neighbors patch in I can see what files they have.
Some of them are pictures of them oh noes kids go to your rooms some people are just dumb lol.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
well thanks guys i guess ill forget the piggyback... sounds like to many things to go wrong.... I do order on line now and then with credit card I think I'll keep my hard cable net in place for that thanks for the tip...

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
When you get that AP or wireless router for the wife. I used to hate Buffalo Tech but have got over it This thing WZR-HP-G300NH will set you back $100 new. I like the overall specs on it. 10/100/1000 ethernet and a USB port

You probably can find something that will work for under $50. Just make sure that it supports "draft N"

Yes, "theft of service" is a really big deal be it power or telecom. BTW you don't actually need a router or AP. That laptop can do the stealing all by itself.

On the neighbor thing if you had a neighbor that wanted to share a wired connection which probably also would break a service agreement (I know it does with Cox) you need to remember that you are running copper wire between two buildings and should have/consider lightning suppression on each end. This hold true if you are just going to an outbuilding of you own as well. One four pair probably is no big deal. Being me I would run fiber. LOL

What I don't know about motorbikes is nothing compared to what I DO know about networks.