Cabin fever- the worst ever.

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I live up in north east Ohio where the winters are long.
I usually just make it through the winter.

This winter has been the WORST... depression is setting in, in epic proportions. I went out to the storage and looked at my bikes today, even they are sad. I can't seem to get anything going build wise, my MoonDog half done at best.

I tried everything to re-light my fire, to no avail. Maybe time for meds?

Geeze, this sucks, and no end in sight.....it's pretty bad when you look forward to going to work at night to clean toilets.

Good God, help me.

Thanks for listening,
Joe

Attachments

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
Joe, If the roads are bare, bundle up and ride. I am up north of you right now in MI and I had a great ride today. Blue sky and bare roads with snowbanks on the sides. Yeah, it was invigorating but that is the shot you need, not prozac!

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
Hey Joe,
Hang in there ... Spring is almost here!

We had a two day break in the weather up here in northern Michigan last week. After a record snowfall total so far of about 14 feet, we had a record warm spell of near 50 degrees for a couple days ... even had REAL SUNSHINE! I can see some of my grass again! Made for a much needed boost.

WAY DOWN SOUTH were you are (lol) Spring should be just around the corner.
You'll be on the road in no time!

I'm pulling (and praying) for you ...
.trk.

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
Hey Joe, There are far worse things than the blues or depression, think about this, there are people everyday finding out about having cancer, or recovering from horrific car crashes, losing their jobs, wife leaving them (maybe that last one ain't so bad) but you get the idea. Stay on the sunny side of life, I live in new york our weather here is pretty much like yours so your not alone with these thoughts.

skyl4rk

Aug 14, 2008
M I C H I G A N
When I get the blues I put on the cold weather gear, two layers of long johns, jeans, multiple t shirts and sweaters, snowmobile gloves, boots, facemask, parka, goggles helmet and ride around town in the snowstorms, even at night. Yes, some body parts get cold but it sure is a lot of fun. As long as there is no ice on the road!

Riding in extreme weather makes me laugh about how crazy I am. It helps with winter blues.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Well enough good advice.
I have to agree with your last idea, "I tried everything to re-light my fire, to no avail. Maybe time for meds?"
Do some drugs.
Tom

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I would build seven snow man, one for everyday of the week. Then every morning I would get a baseball bat and beat the crap out of them. At the end of the week build seven more, do this until spring arrives. Heck, if you need to build 14 and beat the crap out of two everyday.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Thanks guys....I do have a few mental problems related to depression, sometimes it really gets to me. I have avoided the meds, for years now. It just gets so bad, I can barely move, much less get dressed up and go ride.

Paralizing at times, hard to explain.

I know I have a lot to be greatful for, I just got a job after being off for almost a year.

Great life, great wife, recovered from a deadly car crash a few years back, ect.ect.

I'll pray for a small miricle and keep helping out here....seems to help and give me some self worth.

Again, thanks for listening.

Joe

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
Thanks guys....

I'll pray for a small miricle and keep helping out here....seems to help and give me some self worth.

Again, thanks for listening.

Joe

Joe,
I was just going to write and say one of the best ways to feel better is to help someone else ... I see you've already found that out.

I'll just remind you how helpful you are to this site. I remember when I first logged on you were one of the first (if not the first?) members to welcome me aboard. You made me feel welcome and that I had a friend in the group. I'm sure I'm not the only one that can say that.

I'm praying with you for your miracle and I'm thinking I'm not alone. Remember ...

"Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that
they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.
For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them."
Matthew 18:19-20

Hang in there and keep up the good work.

God bless...
Mike

.trk.

seca40

Nov 15, 2008
Albuquerque
Any form of exercise will help alleviate depression. I understand all too well how hard it is to get up and do anything when your in the dumps but taking a walk, or a short run, or lifting some weight, or doing a few pushups, anything really. Even 5 minutes can be enough to get me re started sometimes. Spring is coming. Keep your chin up.

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
I have found the winter long--but even going out for a long walk and looking at Gods creation helps immensly--i have missed about 2 weeks only of riding but iam fully studded --hope this pic taken here cheers you up

Attachments

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Hey Joe I've been there with the depression thing, and I know just how hard it is to even make an attempt to get going. I myself went with the meds, but everybody is different.

And no it's not sad when you look forward to going to work, even if it is cleaning toilets. I think getting out there and doing something helps so much sometimes.

What I usually do when I'm feeling the blues and can't light my fire for things I used to really enjoy...find something else. Find something else to read about, study, think about, etc.

Hope all goes well.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Thanks guys....really.

I am going to go take my Panasonic ten speed for a ride. Exercise, and a little warmer than riding a motorized bike.

I'll be back on those before you know it.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You ARE an angry old fart aren't you? ;)

I laid under the car today in the Ohio salt slush and re did my exhaust....it was a balmy 34 degrees.

I did get a letter of encouragement from a member here- it lifted my spirits in many ways and made my day.

Heck, it made my WEEK and then some.