Motor break in

GoldenMotor.com

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
Vancouver Island BC .Canada
I live on top of a mountain. There is no flat land. It's all up or down hill. I know that during break in your not supposed to load the motor too much but with no flat land around here thats not an option for me. My question is if I break in the motor on the bench in my shop with no load will the rings seat? How would I go about this? Change the motor speed every 5 minutes ? Thanks for any advice...POPS
PS> I forgot to add that I have a pull start kit installed and would be useing a vice to hold the motor.

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Well if it was me pops, I would just ride the darn thing. Not sure how steep the hills are where you live, maybe pedal to assist the motor as much as possible and not run it at the same RPM to long and warm it up good before hand.

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
Thanks for the reply Fair...I guess I might have to do that as I don't think the rings would seat on a bench with no load???? I'm literally going mountain climbing up some animal trails and some that I'll make myself. I'm building as close as possible to a dirt bike. I'll post pic's as I get along with the build. I just wish I could bench break in before I push it...Oh well....POPSdnut

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Don't "load" the engine by dogging up steep hills, just let it rev a little and ride it up the hills. I would NOT run it "on the bench" with no load and certainly not for 5 minutes with no air flow.

As Mr. fair stated, just ride it.

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
Jim
I'll definetly be putting the clutch kit through a torture test and I will keep everyone posted on how it works and how it holds up but it won't be for a while because there is still a lot of snow up here and we got more last night.....POPS

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
I remember having an old Tecumseh Mini bike as a kid it had the same type of centrifugal clutch as the ones sold for the Chengines it pulled me around the hills of Tobacco country in MD and that was pretty hilly i was 190# and i road that thing every day for a couple of years.

If your using a jack shaft and gears you should have plenty of RPM change while shifting gears.

I would also agree with BGJ about not doing break in on the bench with no airflow; however, if you had a turbo fan that could supply a good wind on the motor you could get away with it but 100kilometers or more break in on the bench would be no fun.

See my signature for my real feeling on break in.

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
MB
Thats promising that it did not fail on you. The gears should get er reved pretty good. I've pretty much scrapped the idea of bench break in. The thought of waiting forever for that first tank to get used while standing there baby sitting and changeing RPM'S all the time wasn't too appealing....Sort of like watching grass grow...POPS

oylavabeer

Jan 9, 2009
Perth Australia
Just a idea can i put the bike on one of those bicycle trainers that fitness people use and put a light load on that ? with a fan for air flow . I live in similar circumstances.
cheers