Fuel leaking from the air filter

GoldenMotor.com

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
Hey guys ,reciently sold my motorized bicycle build to a fella and he took it home ,no problems with it apparently ,but he rang to say that there is fuel leaking out of the air cleaner when he turns the fuel tap on ,could this possibly be a float adjustment issue ,it has never happened to me before , how could this happen after I have had it on the road for 230 km , if anyone has an explanation please respond ASAP ,I sold him a good kit and don't want it to look like I sold him a junker

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Regards Henshooter

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
While you have the float bowl off check to see that the float doesn't have fuel in it. They are known to crack, fill with fuel and sink. If that happens the float will not push up on the needle valve to stop the fuel flow into the bowl.

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
Thanks guys ,I just hope he hasn't thrashed the #%£? Out of it and stuffed the engine or similar , in 230 km never had a problem at all , seems a tad sus as if he has played with the carby ,
Just seems to convenient that on the first day it has problems it never had for its entire life , might have to source another carby for it if all else fails sigh and he said he works on motorbikes sigh

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
IMO

There is ALWAYS a loss in translation, or lack of communication between a buyer and a seller.

Even when you tell them outright. "There is the curb. The warranty stops there."
and,
"These are fun. It runs good. You should not buy it unless you are prepared to work on it."

Sometimes I even try "Sold as parts."

You might try, 'Bring it by on saturday afternoon with plenty of beer and we'll have a look at it'.
rc

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
IMO

There is ALWAYS a loss in translation, or lack of communication between a buyer and a seller.

Even when you tell them outright. "There is the curb. The warranty stops there."
and,
"These are fun. It runs good. You should not buy it unless you are prepared to work on it."

Sometimes I even try "Sold as parts."

You might try, 'Bring it by on saturday afternoon with plenty of beer and we'll have a look at it'.
rc
Ditto:
You never want to be 'married' to something you sell to someone. Make it clear up front that it is being sold "as is". Unless you are in the business you shouldn't have to warranty something like a motorized bicycle. Good intentions aside, you'll be happier.

I lost a friend over a bike. He expected me to drive 65 miles to his house to replace the throttle cable on a bike I sold to him. I told him I didn't make 'house calls' and if he wanted it fixed to bring it to me and I'd help him. He got POed and we haven't spoken for a year. Oh well.........:(

Tom

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
Gave him the general idea as to what the problem is and told him to try fix it himself ,I did tell him they are not for bush or dirt riding ,he went a tad quiet after that ,reckon he has sucked some dirt in or split the float , if I ever sell one again I will certainly explain no warranty ,once it leaves my hands it is buyer responsibility ,definitely not worth the hassle