Trouble with higher end power

GoldenMotor.com

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
Hey guys ,I recently put together an a1 80 cc kit and had issues with the carby fuel valve being stripped out so swapped the carby for a "performance" carby , now although the stock carby had a major leak the engine performed well at both low end and high end speeds ( within the break in speed of course) but apon fitting the new carby the engine performs great at lower revs but as soon as I give it a little gas it's revs seem somewhat restricted as if it gets to a certain rpm and says " that's enough" and won't let me achieve higher revs therefore speed ,But upon engaging the clutch seems to act normal ,I'm at a loss as to what the issue is here , I've played with the throttle cable to no avail ,tinkered with the idol and no go ,it seems as if the throttle is restricted although I throttle up to the twist throttles limit
Could it be the cable ,could it be a faulty carby ,I've checked for air leaks ,there's none

It's as if the revs are restricted by the limit of the twist throttle but weren't with the stock standard carby
Help I'm losing hair by the minute
Cheers Henshooter:-||

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Some of those 'Delorto Reps' come with a .8mm (or there abouts) jet for pocket bikes.
You want .65mm. Even .6 depending on the motor.
This maybe your problem.
I find they work well on a standard motor, but no better than a properly tuned speed carb.
Also make sure no air leaks.
Does it '4 stroke'?, what does your plug look like?

Last edited:

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
From what I can tell it does 4 stroke at higher end revs , I've never fooled with jets in a carby to be honest so don't have the confidence to successfully fool around with them ,what sux is it was advertised as slap on your bike and go ,no adjustment required no air adjust required and even when I asked the salesman how to fit and adjust it he said just put it on and go ,and was aware of. The motor I was putting it on as I purchased it from him.
Lies all lies lol
It's somewhat sad that it won't work without air adjustment or mix adjustment as it looks really good on the bike
Here's a pic of her
I'm going to the store today and getting a regular carby that's easily adjusted
Thanks for the comments:-||

Attachments

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
Ok?????? So I just measured the ports and believe it or not they measure in at 1.0 mm yes you heard it correctly
So I spoke to a kind lady at tdr moto in melbourne au and she said I could bring it back and swap it for the carby that comes with the kit , and get my 15 cash back ,I do recommend these guys if you are in melbourne as they have been friendly and all to happy to help ,I believe there was some miscommunication when asking if the carby needs adjusting or alterations to work with my kit ,as for the first carby ,I chose not to repair it as it was brand new and the expectation is if you buy something new it shouldn't be in disrepair or broken ,
I'll fit the other carby and post my results as soon as she is up and running ,cheers for the help to guys

Regards Henshooten
:-|| to dance1

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Most carbs require a bit of tuning to get then acquainted with an engine, brand new or used. It is the nature of the beast.
Re-jetting that carb is easy peasy, nothing to get worked up over.
A couple of screws to remove the float bowl and the jet unscrews from the carb body. Thread the new one in and snug tighten it. Re-install the float bowl.

To say that that one was bolt on and go was definitely a stretch.

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
I went back to the store on the hunt for new jets but the only option they had was to get some machined , it was a tad bit funny watching the owner get ticked off by his wife for not explaining this to me in the first place ,I ended up going for the carby that comes with the kit ,I've painted the ugly candy red air filter cover gloss black and fitted the carby to the bike ,then went crazy and painted my helmet black too ,ahh what's one to do with leftover spray pak anyways ,as soon as it's tacky dry I'm off for a test run and will post how it goes

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Do they really Know what there selling?
Sound like they have no idea!
Just because there nice people, don't mean your getting good service.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Did you confirm that the throttle was opening completely? It's possible your throttle cable is not compatible with the carburetor and not pulling far enough.

Tom

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Throttle opening could be a problem and is easy to check.
Have you removed the Jet?
Those Delorto Rep Carbs can come with a 6mm threaded jet or a 5mm threaded jet.
Do you know which you have?
If it is the 5mm a standard carb jet will fit.
If it's 6mm it probably is for a pocket bike, and will be to big.
I've only found a couple of motorized bicycle businesses in OZ that are worth dealing with.
Others are selling crap, with little knowledge of the product.
I was a supporter of PMB, however find the guy rude but knowledgeable.
Rock Solid is only 1/2 hr from me and Tony seems like a really great Guy Who really knows his stuff.
That's who I'll be dealing with from now on.

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
Bit the bullet and put the original performance carby back on and took her for a test run this evening ,man for a stock carby it's got some great power , don't want to push it that hard though as she's still in breakin , now I'm having issues with my mountain bike build , think I've done the bearings as I thought I'd take it out for a daily run , was perfect yesterday but this evening the rear wheel is locking up when I pulled it in ,still runs well but believe the bearings are shot or the cassette has had the bomb ,rear wheel overhaul is now on the books ,don't want to leave it ,have already blown a hub out on a cheap rim ,wasn't the finest of things to do and scared the crimeny out of me , my advice to any noob is maintain the hub of your rims well ,only the second rim I've blown out but this one flicked the chain at top end and almost cost me half a foot

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Everything needs to be checked greased and tightened regularly once you start doing 60 Kph on a Pushy.
But glad you got her running nice, is that with the speed carb? there my choice over the Delorto, especially once you start hotting her up.

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
Agreed greasing and maintaining bearings is essential to correct operation ,and to prevent failures

I have to agree100% with you on the performance carby , they seem to run so well with minimal adjustment and are so low maintenance it's not funny

The replacement did have the candy red AF cover though so a quick run to an auto shop ,some acrylic satin black paint and she is looking and running sweet ,In fact here's a picture of her the only issue I have now is with regard to the err" extras" on the bike .
I've had numerous comments on if it is my wife's bike because I've left the mud guards and chain guards on
I don't really care because each to their own but when has safety and good looking hardware been a " lady's affair" and not paramount to actual safety lol

Glad she is running well though ,the next project I'm hoping will be a custom in frame tank ,but that's a long way down the hill ,with a 3 month pregnant wife the new one takes priority for the next 6

Cheers and happy cruising Henshooter

Attachments

Last edited:

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
I was thinking of adjusting the bars a bit lower so they look more swept , but love the look of the bars in your pick , may I ask where you obtained them , I know the seat looks a tad girly it's the stock seat for the bike ,I'm contemplating ordering a shwinn fat boy seat in black leather but that's gonna have to wait ,got a new bubba on the way so most of the funds are going towards him/her

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
Love the look of the seat on the motorized bicycle to the right as well ,been looking for ages for one of those but had no joy whatsoever

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Fenders CAN be EXTREMELY dangerous if one fails at speed and gets sucked into a wheel...
Better reinforce those flimsy mounts before you get a rude safety check.
While I also love the look of fenders, getting them safe is too much work for my rides.
I refuse to sell a bike with fenders and also refuse to mount them for my customers since I cannot make them bulletproof without far too much work to allow me to still make a small profit.
Search "fenders" for some horror stories.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
I'd agree but I love the look, plastic ones are the go.
Don't know where the seat came from, likely the Dump. I'd love to find a better one, It's comfy.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Nice build, Henshooter. Reinforce the fender mounts and then ignore what people say. At least you won't have a splatter-patterned shirt back from wheel spray.

The all black look is very nice.. You could maybe do a little detail striping or pattern on the tank and fenders. Just about any colour works well against gloss black, but red, silver, or gold would really jump out.

My Schwinn has it's original seat, looks a lot like yours. It's pretty nice for longer rides, but once in a while I think about what it might look like with a banana seat out over the back fender. (That'd let long-legged me sit a little farther back, too.)