Where to buy a sewing machine?

GoldenMotor.com

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
My wife has a good (but old) sewing machine, and she has a nice serger but she wants a medium grade (my words) new style sewing machine (she says they are under $500).

It's getting down to the wire. Need help! Where? What? Who???

Online preferred.

Thanks in advance.

P

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Have you tried looking at Sears? I don't know anything about sewing machines but my search would probably start at Sears.

And if that did not work for me I'd probably go down to a local sewing shop to at least maybe learn what sewing machine I should be looking for.

Hopefully others will have a better idea.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
A good friend of mine has a Viking. That damm thing will sew through plywood!
No, seriously, he did it with 1/8" thick cabinet grade plywood as I watched because I did not believe him when he told me it could. It did not struggle what so ever.

Where to buy has already been covered here, I just wanted to put in my 2 cents on Vikings.

whipaway

Mar 15, 2013
NY
A Japanese machine from the 1960s would be ideal, all new machines are too plasticy and have nylon gears which get brittle and break over time. There is a forum called 'Needlebar' that would be a big help with this. A Singer 15 clone would be ideal, I think the generic term for it is HA-1.

"Although mass produced it should be noted that these Japanese heads were extremely well built, they performed well, were very affordable and the finish was second to none. Machines came in various and some very bright colours making them very attractive to collectors of this type of machine today. "

Here is some more info on the machines I am referring to:
http://needlebar.org/main/badged/index.html
:

Last edited:

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
As I stated in my OP, my wife HAS a good older machine* (Singer) and she has a nice serger as well (look it up). She just wants one of the new fangled machines to do other hobby stuff. Digital readouts and selections. It's what she wants. BUT we will not be liquidating the other machines.

Good suggestions! Throughout today I have had many Husky suggestions. Sounds like a winner!!

*I've gone through it, cleaned and lubed. Runs like a top, er...sewing machine!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I was in a sewing machine store a week or so ago and was amazed at the technology. They had one that had a scanner built in. You scanned a photo or pattern and the machine would embroider the pattern into your material. The lady there demonstrated it and it was so fast I couldn't believe it.
If you wife wants high tech, go to a sewing machine store and see what is available today. I think you'll be as amazed as I was.

Tom